Hello there, Aedan here to welcome you to this blogs first post. This post will be about the advertising project we have been working on in Humanities. At first we did lots of ITunes U courses. We did lots of mini tasks in these courses that made our end product much better. We learned about colour, target audience and how to make an ad persuasive. After lots of lessons we got put into groups to make a practice ad for a business in Deep Cove. My group consisted of Sam, GraceCaleb and myself. Our first task was to find a business and call them to set up an interview with their manager. We called two companies that didn’t answer and then one that thought we were a scam. We eventually set up an interview with The Raven Pub. I think the calls with the companies made me better at speaking to people. The funny thing is that while we were calling, the manger of The Raven Pub was working at our school. He works at Seycove Secondary! After the call our group walked down the hall and talked to the manager in person. This way it was much easier to discuss a time for an interview. We did the interview in our class and then started our first drafts of the ad right away. We had to focus on a certain thing The Raven Pub wanted advertised. I settled on advertising the ice they hand out for free with the purchase of a cold beverage at their cold beer and wine store. Here are my three drafts.

During the making of the advertisements, we got lots of teacher and peer critique. This helped me a lot because I got a different perspective of what needed to change in my ad. Next time I would create more drafts and ask people for more critique. I think my advertisement turned out pretty good. After finishing our final draft we headed to Oregon for a field study. One of our main tasks while we were there was to make an advertisement for a business in Oregon. We had the same groups as our advertisements in Deep Cove and our group got Nisa’s Thai Kitchen. We called them to set up an interview for the second day of the trip. Before we left for Oregon we created a draft of what the ad layout will look like and a script with the questions we were going to ask them during the interview. At the interview I showed them my first draft and they gave me lots of helpful feedback. I’ve fixed my ad a lot since then and we’ve finished our final drafts. Here are all my drafts of the ad for Nisa’s Thai Kitchen. 

Final draft

Since we did draft one before heading to Oregon, I had no pictures of Nisa’s Thai Kitchen. The difference between draft one and draft two is a big one. After lots of critique from my peers and teachers, I decided to make draft three have only one photo. The final drafts look a lot different from the first drafts. I’m glad I did lots of drafts because I think it made my end product much better. We are now in the process of emailing are advertisements to the owners of the companies. I learned a lot about advertising and how to influence an audience during this project. I would like to thank Mrs. Willemse, Mrs. Clausen and Mr. Hughes for taking us to Oregon and for giving us good feedback on our ads. To make all of the ads for Nisa’s Thai and The Raven I used Canva, Snapseed and Pages.  Keep checking up on this blog because a post about the Oregon field study will be coming out shortly. Thanks for reading me.

Until next time… Aedan Loughran