Hello there, Aedan here. If your reading this and you already know what D.I is than this post is not for you. If your confused about what it is this is the perfect place for you. Without further to do here is what D.I is.

D.I stands for destination imagination. Destination imagination is a competitive tournament that children from around the world go to and compete in a central challenge and an instant challenge. For D.I you can choose one of many challenges to compete in against other kids your age. Each challenge has a certain task to complete or do. This challenge is called your central challenge. The central challenges are always changing from year to year based on new ideas. Here’s a list of some of the challenges from the first D.I tournament I went to in 2018.

Improvisational

Scientific

Engineering

Fine arts

Technical

Click the links to watch a short video about each central challenge. For the challenge you choose to do you have to complete all the tasks to score maximum points. Each aspect of the challenge gives you a certain amount of points. The people who give you the points are called the appraisers and they are generally very nice. They are called appraisers because they are there to celebrate what you did good and not what you did bad. After you have finished your central challenge you will receive your raw scores. These are the scores that the appraisers gave you during the challenge before adjusting them based on how everyone else did. Your central challenge counts as 75% of your overall score. The other 25% is your instant challenge.

The instant challenge is unknown until you go in to do it. It can be task based, performance based or both. They are challenges you have to solve with your team in a certain amount of time. Task based usually involves creating something to do a certain thing like get as tall as possible. Performance based usually involves acting out something or doing a short improvisational skit based on something. Both is when you have to make something and incorporate it into your skit or something like that. A big part of the instant challenge is to work together as a team well.

At the beginning and end of D.I there are ceremonies. The opening ceremony and closing ceremony. For both you have to have a sign that shows the name of your team on it. During the closing ceremony the trophies and ribbons are handed out to the top finishers. D.I is a very great learning experience that is also really fun. I highly recommend joining it. There are many other rules and these were just some basic rules and what D.I is like. Here’s some more stuff you can read if you want to learn more about destination imagination.

Destination Imagination

What is D.I

Tournaments

Closest tournament near you

Hope this helped you decide if you want to join D.I or that you just understand what D.I is now.

Until next time… Aedan Loughran