A Star Wars Exhibition in a Galaxy Far Far Away…

This project will probably go down as one of the most creative projects I have ever done. First off, Star Wars. Being one of the most iconic movie franchises in the world, it was a pleasure researching more about it. Secondly, with projects, you usually don’t get as much choices of what you can do with the project when being in a “regular classroom.” With this project, there was a wide variety of choices you could make and ideas you could present, many of which were unique and fascinating. Not only that but we got the chance to present our projects at an exhibition, which was amazing. Overall, this project idea was fantastic and I really enjoyed it. 

Talking more about my project, I chose to research how people could survive on “Hoth,” a planet similar to the arctic tundra while only two native inhabitants roam it. I chose this topic because I am very interested in finding out if there is life on other planets as well as Hoth itself. To present it, I settled on creating a PowerPoint to show the research aspect of my project and a model to describe Hoth’s harsh environment. In my PowerPoint, I covered many topics including what to do, what not to do, and supplies you would bring. With my planet, I described the planets atmosphere and inhabitants. I created my Hoth model using paper mache and glossy white paint. 

When creating a paper mache planet, you need to settle for a size. I had three choices, a small beach ball, a larger beach ball and a styrofoam ball. With an immediate response, I chose the bigger, a lot more expensive styrofoam ball. 

After deciding a platform, I began creating paper mache using flour, water, and ripped newspaper. I dipped the long newspaper strips in the mixture of flour and water and pasted it on to the platform. It was a very sticky process and took a long ten minutes to wash off the paste, next time I will be using gloves. 

After the paper mache dried up, I began painting. The painting was not as hard as pasting the paper mache, but it caused a couple of stains on our kitchen table. I used white and gray paint as well as some glossy paint to make it stand out. 

We a couple days of work, I finally finished my model. I was very proud of myself afterwards and I really thought it looked a lot like Hoth, until I looked on wookiepedia, which presented it as “a light blue planet.” 

“Facepalm”

After presenting this project to many of my fellow classmates as well as many parents, I felt excellent about my work and presentation. I think everyone enjoyed this project and I hope we have another one identical to this one in the future!

Aiden signing off.