SLC’s, Again

This is a follow up to my first post on SLC’s. If you haven’t looked at that, check it out here!

http://www.blog44.ca/aidens/the-beginning-of-slcs/

For this segment of the SLC’s, I will be talking about work that I feel presents how I have grown as a learner. I will be talking about the certain pieces of work, how I managed, and finally, how it changed me as a learner.

Let's Begin Again

When I hear work that has improved me as a learner, I think of work that has changed my opinion of learning. When I think of work that has improved me as a learner, I think of Destination Imagination. Destination Imagination, or Discovery Imagination as my group calls it, is a volunteer based program that invites kids form around the world to compete in different challenges. Our class was asked to name a group they feel they’d suit well in. I chose the musical group because I thought it would be a great opportunity to create a musical instrument.

Our group consisted of seven members, all who had the same interest as me. At first, no one knew what Destination Imagination was. Everyone was questioning about it. While in the process of creating the instrument, I learned some techniques on woodwork and metal work. The thing I thought that changed me as a learner was my group work. I feel working on that project I feel a lot better as a learner. The most memorable moment of Destination Imagination was when our instrument weighed way to much. We were down to a couple of minutes and the weight wouldn’t go down, so with only a minute left, they told me to smash it, it snapped in half and we couldn’t balance the  weight. It was still such a great experience.

Our Jersey’s –

image

image

Time is Wasting –

image