My Trip to the Big Apple

Summer is getting closer to an end, and what better way to end it off than with a blog post. For this post, I will be talking about my vacation to New York City.

New York has a lot to offer including it’s skyline, transportation system, shows, Times Square, and lots more. I was very excited to go the day we left. Being the geography nerd I am, I knew a little bit about     the city beforehand. I knew about the different boroughs, the different sites as well as the different skyscrapers in Manhattan.

image

My family and I arrived in New York, and it was boiling. Even at 11:00 at night, it was still hot, and dry. I knew this was going to be a long trip. The following day, my family and I did a lot of sightseeing. We visited the 9/11 memorial, the World Trade Center, the Satue of Liberty and Staten Island. There was nothing much at Staten Island, but it was cool that I went to all five boroughs. Some other highlights during the first few days included a football game and a baseball game. Both of the games were very interesting. This was only my second time being to a baseball game, and seeing the Blue Jays play the Yankees was definetely a great experience. I was extremely excited about seeing the football game. The New York Giants played the Miami Dolphins, and although my mom didn’t enjoy it as much as I did, I still had a great time.

After a few days in New York, we met up with some family. Apparently, we have cousins that live in New York, so we stayed with them for a few days. They lived in Queens, another borough in the New York area. Queens didn’t have much to offer, but you don’t go to New York to go to queens, so it wasn’t a big deal we didn’t go around Queens.

image

Manhattan. Manhattan is a busy place, full of tourists, buildings, cars, taxis, parks and much more. Since it’s such a busy place, you need to get around quickly, and the streets are quite slow, so that’s why over half of New Yorkers take the Subway. The Subway is an underground train system that travels around the City. It leads into Queens, the Bronx and Brooklyn and is one of the busiest transportation systems in the world. The Subway is full of people, and many of these people have different personalities. Many of the people on the Subway were trying to sell things, playing music, and we’re not afraid to propose any ideas or thoughts. It was a very interesting experience going around in the Subway, and it was definetely a highlight of the trip.

During our trip to New York, we left early to go to Washington DC. Washington DC is the capital of the United States and is home to the White House, Capitol Hill, and many other famous landmarks. I was immensely excited to go to DC and I knew it was going to be fun.

We only stayed in Washimgton for a few days, but in that time my family and I visited many historic American landmarks, one of them being the Lincolm Memorial. The Lincoln Memorial is a monument that honours the sixteenth president, Abraham Lincoln. Another monument we visited was the Washington Monument, which is an iconic tower built to commemorate George Washington. Some other highlights include Capitol Hill, the White House, and GeorgeTown University.

From busy Subways, to quiet dinners with the family, I had lots of fun in New York and Washington. I had such a great time and I hope I can go back someday.