Math + Ecology = Frankenstuffie

Math and science is already complicated in itself, and making it more complicated is what we like to do in PLP. The class has just finished a unit based on mapping, biomes and regions, and we are just finishing our videos on our “Frankenstuffie’s”, which are stuffies that we have sewed together to use in our videos. This is a blog post of the process and creation of this project.

To start things off our grade nine class learned about mapping and the geography of Canada. We also learned about coordinates and how to locate different locations. This would be a major part of our videos. We did a few assignments on these topics, and presented a few along the way, but now it was time to start our actual project, the frankenstuffie project. This project involved our class tocreate videos of our animals and it’s changes that it makes to help stop disturbances in the environment. The disturbance is a math monster, a monster that I created in math class to help represent the disturbance in my story. We had to tell the tale of these creatures and the changes our animal ‘hero’s’ made to adapt to the environment

My Story:

In our videos, we had to have logs, which is like a journal that the reader can hear or listen to to help bring he story to life. In my story, the tale of my animal, Kofi the cougar, as the main character, and the logs are narrated by a narrator who explains the cougars whereabouts. I will give you an example of a log in one of my episodes.

As the cougar wakes up in the morning, he wakes up to new paws, now with razor sharp claws. He now has extra traction for when he is racing across the frozen plains full of ice and hard rock. He continues down the Akshayuk pass, hoping to find some more food for the long journey ahead of himself. The cougar notices it has gotten a lot warmer, and that the snow is melting. The ice is there, but it doesn’t understand why. Wandering down the pass, he notices a few taller, broader creatures. These were humans, who were trying to navigate the akshayuk pass. The humans see the cougar, and are immediately frightened, but this cougar isn’t as frightening as it seems. Even though this cougar is much larger and has sharper claws, he tends to not attack animals except for smaller hares and the occasional polar bear. The cougar begins walking towards the humans, but they quickly sprinted away.

That was just episode four. Imagine doing eight of those and compiling them into video. That is exactly what we had to do. Tell the story of eight different and unique logs.

Here is my movie