Trigonometry and its Angles

Math ten has already had a fair amount of projects. One project that we have been doing this unit is our class’ trigonometry project, where we take certain angles and use them to create a solar panel that will create energy using the suns rays. Using the angle of the sun, we can determine what the ideal angle for he solar panel is using a few different sources and a little bit of common sense. Lets get right into it.

Before beginning the project we didn a few labs and worksheets to help the class better understand the uses of trigonometry and the benefits it creates. This really helped me and I think most of the class with the project as without these worksheets or labs some of us would have gotten stuck midway through the project.

One of our many worksheets that we completed during class

For this project, I created a 3D model online that shows a house with a solar panel and what angle can help it produce as much energy as possible. One of the outlines of the project stated that we had to put our solar panel at a certain location of our choosing. This was my design and location process.

Coming up with a location for my model solar panel was a little difficult.
I had many options to choose from, somewhere all across the globe, and that’s where I came up with my location. Going on to the app Google Earth, I found a city in the Philippines, Manila, where one of my friends lives. They were recently struck by a hurricane, which blocked power from going anywhere in his community, so I decided to place it there, to ideally help people in middle to lower class parts of the world to have power when something goes wrong with a main source. The design that I created was first a 2D model which showed the angle that the solar panel would have in order to get as much energy. I created the angle at thirty degrees. I came up with this angle by using the latitude of the city of Manila, which is fifteen degrees. Afterwards, I took that angle and added fifteen degrees to it because it I chose my time to be the winter, where the sun is at a fifteen degree angle. This process works because the sun does not have a fixed position, meaning it doesn’t stay in the same spot. Instead, the sun moves and changes location in the sky where in the winter, it is loftwer on the horizon and the summer, where it is higher than the horizon.

Here are some Sketches of the Suns Angles and the Solar Panel that I Created

After designing these sketches and beginning a layout foundation, it was time for me to start brining it to life. Using three dimensional app called ‘3DC’, I began creating the house and solar panel. In addition, I also showcased the angles so it would be easier to understand for the people viewing it.

Here is a Snapshot of one part of my Diagram, showing the Angles and Degree of the Solar Panel

Once I completed the diagram in the app, I created a write up to help explain my learning inner this project. This was one of the better parts of the project because I got to explain my understanding of trigonometric ratios and how it is used in solar panels.

That concludes my blog post on Mymensingh first math project. I really enjoyed doing this project, as I got to use my design skills to showcase my creativity and capabilities in the design app. Trigonometry isn’t always the most fun unit to learn in math, but this project made it a lot better.

Thanks for tuning in, see you in my next post!