Metaphor Machine Final Blog Post

The metaphor machine project has come to an end.

It was a great project that really showed what PLP is all about with the creation, design, the history aspect as well as all the blog posts and other parts of this unit that we have done.

I really enjoyed the historical aspect of this project especially researching and getting a full understanding of the Meiji Restoration. I also liked finding metaphors for events of the restoration.

I think the part I least liked about the project was making the video that accompanies the actual machine. I’m not the best with video creation and making it engaging and creative. So I kinda struggled with that but in the end it was fine because I had ruby in my group and she is really good at that kind of thing and so she was able to make it good, engaging and creative.

The creation and design of the machine was the most time consuming and it took us a while to get to where we are now. The most challenging part was the first floor and getting the track and the gate to work. It took some time just to get the circuit set up and making and getting the track to work. I also think it is one of our best floors as well.

img_2420

The second floor was slightly less challenging but once we found a way to make it work it wasn’t very hard to put it together.

img_2421

There isn’t much on the third floor so we didn’t get to it until a little bit later but it was challenging to get the track to be able to control the marble and make sure it hit the map.

img_2422

The fourth and final floor we didn’t really begin on until later and I didn’t take long to make the scale and put it into the right spot so the map would be able to trigger the final part of sequence.

img_2422

The video took one or two drafts to really establish what the final product would look like and what we needed to include in it.

We started out with only a couple parts and then added more as we went along. I worked specifically on the mailing of the machine slides for the video while Calum did the first floor section, Sam did the second floor section, Makyla did the third floor section and Ruby did the fourth floor and the history of the revolution.

Our first draft of the video just had my part with the making of the machine and the history of the revolution.

After getting some feedback on my part I set to work on creating a full script that isolated each piece of the machine and it’s creation process as well as getting the images to follow along with the voice over.

Then everyone else got their parts together into one video that covers all of the floors.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Eindfd5lGVI&feature=youtu.be

After getting some feedback on some of the sections we edited it a little bit a here is the final draft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYMyCsPIx8g&feature=youtu.be

I am very happy that we have finished this project because all the stress and anxiety will go with it and I can finally get back to reading my books.