Solar Panels

For the last two months in math we have done a unit all about trigonometry. We looked at the three basic ratios; SOH CAH and TOA. We also learned about two special triangles that have base measurements that can be multiplied by a scale and still stay proportional.

For the project we looked at how a solar panel can reflect trig ratios to be proportional and be at an optimal angle for the sun to hit it.

We first did a quick lab looking at optimal angles for solar panels. We used test dividers and blocks of wood to angles panel towards one of the lights  in the classroom.

To make it easier we were allowed to pick a certain month or season in a certain city  to figure out what the angle should be. I chose Vancouver in the winter time. I found this really helpful site that you entered the country province and city and it would give you the best angle for each month and season in that city.

Now to find the correct angles and side lengths I used what I learned doing those two special triangles so I could then use it to scale the panel to be proportional. After spending some time putting the math together I got my angles and base measurements.

The hypotenuse is 1 Unit. The support side parrel to the hypotenuse is 0.95 and the bottom side is 0.3. The three angles are 90,18 and 72. After I got the measurements I went to work building the model.

Since my dad builds a lot of architectural models he has a lot of leftover foam core which I use for school from time to time. I did some quick sketches and cut out the solar panel (with supports) and the base structure (the house, or in my case the doghouse) I labeled the side lengths and angles and glued it all together.

We also had to have a write up to explain our model and how it fits the criteria. I discussed how I got the angle and what math I used to get the side measurements.

I brought it in for submission. My model was quite small compared to other people’s projects and I did alright but not the best. My model was a white blob so I didn’t get many marks by way of personalization and my write up was a little short.

So, like most PLP projects I went back and revised. I spent some time colouring my model and making it look a little more interesting. I also added some more information to my write up.

This wasn’t my favourite project but I thought it was good to get a feel for what direction math is going this year.