A Bunch of Keynotes All About SPACE!!

Here is my recommended song for this post.

So for the past two weeks we did our last Science project. It was all about Astronomy.

I was partnered up with Spencer for this project and to determine what we were doing we had a class lottery. There were a variety of topics which we could do our project for. Spencer and I ended up with radiation and radioactivity in Space.

After some thought we came up with our driving question. What are the different radioactive levels in planets and how is that reflected in their environments.

We began by researching the different planets and some of the factors it has to do with radiation and radioactivity. Then after coming to the conclusion that each planet has a unique amount of radioactivity and it can’t necessarily be scaled to figure out which planet is the most radioactive. We talked to Mr. Gross and decided to change our focus a little bit and focus more on earth and provide different information on how radioactivity affects certain planets. We covered Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars.

The way our research went was, we had to research some of the enviromental conditions on the planets and how radioactivity has effected it. So, in the case of Mars, It’s atmosphere isn’t the most protective and it lets a lot of radiation in, 7.5 times the amount of radiation then on earth. Thus it makes Mars not the best option for colonization as that serious amount of radiation would heavily affect the colonizers.

After doing our research we put together a keynote presentation. We then presented to the class and discussed how radioactivity isn’t the easiest to scale between the planets but it defines a lot of the traits of a planet, how warm it is, the environment and some of the weather conditions on the planet.

Now for our assessment we had to pick 4 of 6 core curriculum competencies for Science; Questioning and Predicting, Planning and Conduction, processing and analyzing data and information, evaluating, applying and innovating, and communicating.

With those 6 things we had to pick 4 and Mr. Gross would then assess us on those. Spencer and I picked Questioning and Predicting, Planning and Conducting, Processing and Analyzing data, and communicating.

Now since we watched all fo the other presentations on various topics to do with space we also had to create a mind map that showed the connections between it all.

Its amazing how everything is related when it comes to space. From radioactivity on planets to the creation of stars it’s all very similair. I’m proud of what me and Spencer created and I learned a lot about radioactivity in space. It was a fun project that I felt I worked pretty hard on.