Shrew You: Reflective Post

Welcome back readers, time for another look into my learning with PLP. This project focused on building our essay writing skills along with studying “The Taming of the Shrew” in order to answer our driving question: “How can the suffragette movement demonstrate both how much and how little has changed for women today?” you can read my answer to the question linked here in my final essay.

Similarly to my last project this quarter I’m very happy with turning everything in on time this project, it doesn’t seem like much (mostly because it isn’t) but I am pretty happy with myself for putting more effort into this course this year. I’m also really happy with the amount of learning I explored outside of the realm of the assigned curricular competencies, if that was for better or for worse is debatable, you can read about most of the extra research I did for this project here in my Milestone Two assignment. Like every project with PLP there are still a lot of things I could have done better with retrospect, for starters that milestone two document linked earlier, should have related a lot more to texts assigned in class and less about the other research I did, and I had the chance to revise yet I didn’t. I let myself get caught up in, what I determined to be, more important assignments even though if I had just managed my time better I could have revised and still done all the assignments at the same caliber I presented anyways.

The biggest blow to my performance in this project was easily my acquisition of strep throat that caused me to be absent from 6 classes. I definitely had 2 days there where I was not functional at all but I used it as an excuse to not put in 100% for the remainder of my time away from school, I barely hung on to my contracted grade of 93%, if it at all. Taking this into consideration I’m very grateful for my teachers for letting me move along with my final essay, because in Mr Hughe’s words… “We asked for a cherry pie, but you made us an apple pie, the apple pie still demonstrated my baking skills but it’s still not a cherry pie”. To that I would say that firstly, pie isn’t that good in the first place why are you teaching us how to make pie, and secondly, apple pie is better than cherry pie. All that said I am still proud of my final essay, Ms Willemse challenged me to take stance on the “right” interpretation of taming of the shrew, and I think I soundly argued my case on how the interpretations of the play over time represents a positive shift in the ideas of what place of women is in society. 

So, overall I think I did a relatively good job on this project although I should have paid more attention to feedback and/or asked for more considering the recent controversy on Suns and Rainbows (our grading system) within the PLP 11/12 cohort. I think I learned a lot and I would argue that my perspective on many things and ideas has broadened during this project, which is great. I don’t really care about my grade that much as long as I took some real things out of a course, and I did this quarter with PLP. I recommend you check out my final essay linked above, any feedback is cool with me!

Hopefully you will see some other cool blogs on here during the time in between now and the next time I’m back in the PLP class which will be in the last 4th of the school year. Thanks for reading and as always, have a great rest of your day/evening