Surviving Exams; Tips and Tricks From Someone Who Is Unqualified To Give Advice

Before you read this I just wanted to say that I am reposting this monstrosity which I wrote four years ago. That’s right. I was 13 when I wrote this. I went through a phase where I was embarrassing, and then I went through a phase where I was embarrassed of my embarrassments. You know, teenage stuff. But now I am here to rerelease whatever the hell this was. I am 17 now, so keep in mind that I have grown a lot since writing this.

Thanks.

Salutations

It is that time of year, again my dudes. The time of rejoicing, celebration, and way too many all-nighters trying to cram for a forgotten test. Trust me, I have been there and done that. I may only be fourteen, but I know enough about exams to have built a novel of facts that help smooth out the process.

Allow me to give you some context. Exactly two months ago, I woke up with a fervour in my step. But that has nothing to do with it. Our story starts several weeks ago, when I first decided to challenge my knowledge by signing up for the SSAT. Please, do not judge that decision. I was on a 3 am rampage. The purpose of inning myself up was not only to broaden my perspective when it comes to future education prospects, but also to give myself a purpose, and something to work towards.

After signing myself up, I told my parents and the process was sealed. I had no where to go but up.

Genesis

Imagine this. I have a huge exam in three weeks and I do not know what to do. This was the first mistake that I made: waiting. If I had more experience with taking tests, which I do not have considering I am in a project focused program, then I would have known to instantly begin the preparation process. As a result, I ended up ordering a study book. When I received said study book,  I came to enlightenment about the fact that I was not prepared for this test.

Fast forward to three weeks later, I am in the exam room. Several kids sit beside me, all at stark desks with a test in front of them. I feel confident, and excited to begin. How did I go from an absolute mess to less than an absolute mess? Good question.

10 things that you will need to know about the SSAT

1. Your results are compared to those of other students your age around the globe, and you are graded accordingly. This means that you DO NOT need to get 100%. Several questions will be beyond your grade level, but that does not reflect onto your final score as most your age will have also struggled on that question.

2. You do not need to share your results with the school. If you are applying to a competitive application public school, then they will need your scores. Although if you are unhappy with your scores, you can retake the test all while