Hello friends and visitors! Welcome back to my blog. It’s another weekly blog post for the blog challenge, you guessed it. This week is already week 8, which seems crazy, but what’s even crazier is that it’s about Christmas, which is just around the corner! I can already hear all of those wonderful Christmas songs in the back of my head. To get festive for week 8, my friend Evelyn (she doesn’t have a blog, unfortunately) and I made watercolour paintings about things that represent Christmas to us. I also made a short video of our painting process!

Evelyn chose to draw a snowman, and I chose a Christmas ornament. I feel like ornaments are a great object to represent Christmas with. When we’re young, our parents take photos of us and put them in little picture frame ornaments. When we are older, we make them as crafts and give them as gifts, small things that only come out at Christmas time. You forget that they exist, and then you take them out of their box every year, and again, all the memories and emotions attached to them come flooding back.
Most of Christmas’s meaning lies in the less tangible aspects of itself, but it’s always nice to have something to hold on to. And especially when painting, people often represent things like feelings with visible and physical objects that have a deeper meaning. I believe an ornament is exactly like this. When you’re older and you’ve got kids, you can take out that little ornament with the worn picture of a little you, and remember the people who put that picture there, and every memory that follows. It’s so much more than what it’s made of.

Thanks for visiting my blog! This week was pretty fun, and a great reminder that everyone needs to get on with their Christmas shopping and decorating. I hope we have a beautiful white Christmas… most likely it will be gray and rainy, but you know, you can hope. See you all next week!