Categories
Scimatics Uncategorized

It’s the Ultimate Design Challenge!!

Hello!! This is my reflection blog post for our last Scimatics project, The Ultimate Design Challenge!! In this project, we were challenged to redesign a object to either achieve maximum volume and minus surface area, or minimum volume and maximum surface area.

We were put into groups of 1-3 people. So, some people worked by themselves, and others had other people to work with. My group was Kate and Ryan. We brainstormed a bunch of ideas for what object we would do. We had a LOT of ideas. Then, we settled on a plane bathroom. Plane bathrooms are not fun. They are cramped, loud, and just not good. We all share a hatred of plane bathrooms, so we decided to do that for our object!

We started by dividing up the things in our bathroom. We knew that we wanted a sink, toilet, and a mirror. So, we each took one of those! Kate worked on the toilet, Ryan worked on a mirror and the actual frame of the bathroom, and I worked on the sink!

This is a photo of some of the brainstorming we did!

Then, we started designing. We used a system called Tinkercad. It was sorta hard to use, but I got better at it as time went on! I put in some pictures of the final sink that I designed. The idea was that there would be a sink that was on a tray that could slide in and out of a shelf, or in and out of a wall. As you can see, the sink is very shallow, so that takes away any extra height.

Now, I am going to talk about some of the curricular competencies.

We had three competencies; Reasoning and Analyzing, Applying and Innovating, and Communicating and Representing.

Reasoning and Analyzing

For this competency, we had to model mathematics in contextualized experiences. Broken down, this means we had to show our math. I think that I did well on this!

Applying and Innovating

For this competency, we had to contribute to care for self, others, community, and world through personal or collaborative approaches. This was basically paying attention in class and not being mean. I struggle a bit with paying attention, so I think I can work on that.

Communicating and Representing

For this competency, we had to explain and justify mathematical ideas and depictions. I think I did this through my Keynote presentation, and through all of the calculations I did!

Thank you for reading my post!!! See you next time!