Steampunked Mona Lisa

Hello fellow humans and welcome to my latest & greatest blog post! I want to warn you though, if you get lost in fascination about the world of steampunk from my painting, that’s just the beginning. There’s so much to the world of steampunk, it’s amazing how tons of everyday items can be transformed into something completely different by maybe just turning it inside out. Our most recent assignment in flight has been to think of a question about steampunk that was not directly covered in class and we must find the answer with research. My question is: “How can I steampunk a classical painting?” I have found the answer to this question with a whole lot of research about steampunk. I originally wanted to find a painting that maybe had a car, or something like that but I eventually decided that I could do something really cool with the Mona Lisa by Leonardo Da Vinci. After #observing the painting I thought of many ways that I could creatively streampunk this painting. Before I explain a lot of it, I didn’t add any metaphors or background to anything in the painting because I didn’t paint it (obviously) and also because I didn’t really feel like that was part of my question, you know? I could maybe do something like that if we get assigned yet another one of these steampunk projects. I spent quite a few hours on this Steampunked Mona Lisa because I am definitely not that great at drawing. I tried to add as much detail and cover most things you’d see at a steampunk festival but of course, I can’t draw for the life of me so I had to stick to things on the more simple side. You wouldn’t believe how much time I spent on the eye makeup, I tried soooooo hard to make a smokey eye and it just wasn’t working at all. I actually had a lot of fun making this Steampunked Mona Lisa and I really hope it lived up to expectations.

img_9333