GOOD DAY, fellow out of the box thinkers!

To understand a story, an image, a quilt, or a piece of modern artwork. You must first have lived, and gone through things, and experienced the full extent of emotion. Only then, can you FULLY  understand, or mabey you truly understand because you live far in the future and are reading my blogs as a piece of great literature (which I really doubt will happen).

I was born feeling like a nistalgic ninty year old, sipping moonshine on the back porch. Even though at times, I can be immature, i feel like I’ve been living for a thousand years before I was even born and I always have felt this. I feel like I’ve lived, even though I’m only a teenager, this is why that I love and admire  modern art, why I express myself so abstractly.

In this term, we explored symbolism, storytelling, the crusades, and mythology. We began to create a story about people affected by the crusades. As always, we had too many ideas and had to simplify the story. Many, many drafts went by, and from them two stories emerged, told about the same event from two different perspectives. This has tied well into my pursuit of expression.

Here are some of the drafts so you can see how much we improved our work.

And then those particular quilt blocks turned  into…     these:

Allong the way, we learned about good storytelling strategies, and created our stories using something called “The Heroes Journey”.

My groups  story told the tale of a couple, Henry and Jill who lived a normal life together, until Jill was captured, and taken away. A man named aladin saw this, and followed the group, to later rescue Jill. Henry was worried when she didn’t return home, and went out in search of her. He looked for days non stop, until the two groups crossed paths. Jill was relieved to see Henry again, but since Henry was Christian and Aladdin was Muslim, Henry was appalled, and confused. When Jill told Henry about aladin saving her, he dropped the stereotype barrier, and realized that he was wrong about Muslim people. He immediately felt sorry, and apologized to aladin. Then they all parted ways, feeling all the better, having learned such an important thing, and done such heroic tasks. And all lived happily ever after (mostly).

Please enjoy our quilt blocks, and interpret them as you will!

And as always, be your own inspiration!