Welcome to the Identity

Good day fellow out of the box thinkers or other self expression seekers! Today we will be diving back into the concept of Identity, if you have read my previous post on identity, you probably have an idea about what I’m going to be talking about.

Last post was my take on what identity is before did any research, projects, or before really getting into the idea up to my elbows… which I have been doing for the past few weeks.

What is identity?

Identities can have many different aspects to them, and many different things that effect them. Identities can change over timefrom events, people, land, government, or the lack of (to name a few). There are many different types of identities, you may have a few. Some unique identities and outlooks on the identity are those of my friends Fraser and Emerson.

Individual Identity

The first type is an individual identity, this’s probably what you think of when you hear something about identity. This identity is all about YOU. Who are you? How does the world see you? How do you want the world to see you? How do you see yourself? The answers to these questions and many more similar questions are the answer to the all famous “who am I?” question.

Group Identity

The second type is a group identity. Whatever group(s) of people you are involved in, or identify with, or feel you agree with, or belong in, has an identity that you are a part of. The people who make the group forms the identity of the group as well as the purpose for the group and the groups history. Group identities consist of clubs, competitive teams, small companies, large corporations, communities, families, provinces, industries and more. I am part of many groups all with unique and individual identities, every group identity you have changes your individual identity in millions of ways.

National Identity

The third type is a national identity. This is like a group identity but one that thrives throughout your entire nation. Since I am from Canada, I believe in equality, free or cheap life essentials such as healthcare and water. We believe in working hard, freedom of expression, peace, and standing up for what you believe in. What does your country stand for?

How does Identity Form or Change?

Like many other things, your identity is made up of all the things you know, think, feel, see, imagine, or have experienced. Everything that you will learn and experience and believe, in the future will shape who you are and how the world sees you. Every opportunity you don’t take and every one you do changes your identity in unbelievable ways.

How Does the Land Impact the Identity?

The land of our upbringing is either what we call home or the very opposite, but whether you get a warm and fuzzy feeling or not your home is a part of you. You can create a new home, a welcoming place, wherever you would like (almost). Wherever you live, play, eat, or work in shapes you each and every day. Every place you visit expands your sence of self in different ways.

– What you eat is dependent upon what is growable close to you.

– Your spare time is filled with what your land offers you.

– Where you sleep depends upon the availability of materials in your area.

– Where and how and what you do in your work depends upon how the land and surroundings have impacted you in your life.

Identity Video- who are we?

below you will see a video of how the land affects my identity and those around me. Make connections to the land around you, and your identity what is similar, what is not? Why do you think this is? Nearly everything I learned was in preparation for this video… enjoy!

If you are looking to change your identity no matter what kind it is, remeber before acting what impact your actions will have. It is also quite important to find inspiration from within yourself!