Tectonic plates

My class just finished a project based on tectonic plates. We created a book that was for students in grade 4 and 5, that taught them about tectonic plates. This was really hard to do, because we had to make the book interesting and giving information to kids is usually hard because they never pay attention. So trying to create a book they would enjoy was hard. I came up with a character who went under the tectonic plates and took a video of everything she saw. It wasn’t the best idea but it was one of the better ones I came up with. Before we started this project my class made a mind map of all the things we knew about tectonic plates, now that were done I created a mind map of everything I know now,

In this project we read from a text book and took the information we learned and made it into a book. I was able to comprehend the text pretty easily for this project. In the begging of the project we do small class activities getting us to question and predict what convection currents are and what they do. We also made predictions on tectonic plates and how they move. Some of our class predictions were right and others weren’t but the majority of the time our predictions were very close to the truth or the truth. Another way we learned about tectonic plates was by doing Kahn Academy quizzes. Here we read about tectonic plates and things they can cause, we also watched helpful videos that gave us information to fill in the quizzes at the end. I thought this was a fun way to learn because the quizzes were hard but not really hard and you could always redo them. Once we learned everything we had to apply what we learned to making our book. We had to create and build our book from our imagination and creativity. This was a fun project and I’m really glad I got to do it!

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning is young. The greatest thing you can do is keep your mind young.

-Mark Twain