Kinda Epic, Kinda Crazy, Kinda Disastorous: A PLP Field Study

Finally! We made it out of the country for a field study. PLP 11 and 12 (half of us anyway) headed down to some of the southern states, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri. Each night was a new hotel, as we were doing a 10 day road trip through all these different places. Anyone who was on the trip will understand the whole meaning of the title, but I will spare you some of the disastrous details. Not all though, as can you really consider your trip epic or adventurous if there wasn’t a little disaster!

Now you may be wondering why have we travelled all that way for a field study. Well we were on the search for stories of hope, and we found many. While we were travelling our goal was to collect evidence of these stries to include in our video we were creating. Read more about the project here!

What better to show the story of our trip than selfies!! They aren’t always the most flattering pictures, but I feel as a tourist it is your job to take a few selfies here and there.

I promise I did take better photos of our trip though.

Visiting the Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum

Congress Avenue Bridge

Branch Dravidian Compound

As much as we were going from museum to museum we had some stops that were more for enjoyment than the learning experience. While we were in Texas I went to my first rodeo!

Stockyards Championship Rodeo

Thanks-Giving Square

Me walking around Thanks-Giving Square

Quinn taking photos at Dealey Plaza

One of the most impactful places for was the Dallas Holocaust and Human Rights museum. I think it was really well done, and I found it engaging and very interesting to go through.

Human Rights section at the Dallas Holocaust and Human Rights Museum

Me listening to a holocaust survivors story

Oklahoma City bombing memorial (at night)

I think in the end one of my favourite places was the hill rook Museum of art. I personally loved both art museums we went to, but this one was just stunning. I loved both the architecture of the house the museum was created in and the art itself!

Hallway in Phillbrook Museum of art

Gorgeous gardens that went on forever

Amy taking pictures of a painting by Picasso 

When going on trips like these there are always going to be things that suddenly get cancelled, so improvisation is needed. Lucky for us students, our teachers were pretty good at it. We had an unexpected stop to visit a giant statue of Jesus up in the ozark mountains!

Ryan posing as giant staue Jesus

Now this is only 22 photos out of the 605 that I got on the trip, and while that may seem like soo many, I still regret not taking more. The biggest regret was not taking more selfies(obviously) and group photos. I focused a lot on only picture for my video, which was very important at the time, but looking back I wish I had a few more of me and my friends and all the fun we were having!