โœฐ๐˜™๐˜ฆ๐˜ง๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜ค๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ข ๐˜๐˜ช๐˜ฆ๐˜ญ๐˜ฅ ๐˜š๐˜ต๐˜ถ๐˜ฅ๐˜บโœฐ

Not so long ago I was driving through the Rockies, travelling to various lakes, and exploring new places with my class of PLP 9. You might be wanting to know more. Well Iโ€™m super excited to tell you! On the trip we were assigned a few projects which you will hear me mention throughout this post. One was the Power of Place project where we learned about how place impacts people. The other projects were concerning video skills which we are focusing on in grade 9. Now lets start from the beginning…

On September 15th (very early in the morning) our class was on the bus. Tired, but ready to go on an amazing trip. The very first stop was Craigellachie BC, where the last spike of the Canadian Pacific Railroad was driven. With it being the very first stop I was very excited. I quietly wandered around the historical site with my classmates and learned about an important part of Canadian history. The way we behaved here would set the tone for the whole trip. We were already learning so much and it was just the beginning. I thought it was a cool experience to go to a place that we had learned about in school. Soon we were back on the bus, off to Three Valley Gap.

First Stop!

Three Valley Gap is a really interesting place. The huge red roofed chateau that looks over a lake is visible from the highway. There is also a heritage ghost town there. It was a great location to film our silent movie project. We spent a good two hours filming and since my group and I were focused we finished and the results were something weโ€™re proud of. I thought about what ways we could use the location to its fullest as we walked through the first time. For example we hadnโ€™t planned on filming a scene on a bus, but when we saw that there was a bus we thought it would go perfectly with the story.

Silent Film

That Night we stayed at the Chateau, in the morning we were ready for another big day. On the second day our first stop was Rogers Pass. The Discovery Centre has information about the history and wildlife there. We also learned about avalanches. Here I tried to conduct an interview with one of the visitors to practice interviewing for my project but I was unsuccessful. It didnโ€™t work out because I was a bit shy but when I did try to interview someone they unfortunately didnโ€™t speak English. I decided that at future stops I would get over any reluctance because it wouldnโ€™t help me.

Then we went to Lake Louise. Lake Louise was beautiful and I liked it a lot but I think I would have done things differently if I could. I walked around the lake with my friends and we took photos together. There were many photographers at the lake who I should have interviewed for my video. They probably would have some interesting things to say to help with my project but to be honest I spent a lot of time there being a photographer myself instead. Despite that it was a really amazing place to see and I enjoyed myself.

Next we went to the Columbia Icefield in Jasper National Park. First we took a bus to the Skywalk, a walkway on the side of a cliff that leads to a bridge like structure that you could say is not for those with a fear of heights.

There was a lot to learn there and I was very engaged. I found a lot about the architecture, that helped me with my project. The next activity was the Glacier Adventure. We took a huge vehicle designed to drive on glaciers up and when we got out we were standing on a glacier! Then we got back on the bus to go to Banff. Here it was important to manage my impulsivity because we were in a busy place representing PLP, our school, even our province. It was so exciting to go to Banff, I had always wanted to go there. I enjoyed exploring Banff and I managed my impulsivity well.

After Banff we made it to Calgary where we spent the night. We went to many places in Calgary. One of these places was at the Beakerhead Spectacle, where for one night artists show off their impressive installations at Princeโ€™s Island Park. I again was representing our school and home so I had to mange impulsivity. We were encouraged to go to every display there was and my group saw it all within an hour. I enjoyed myself but also spent time thinking about the driving question and how this place could help me answer it as we wandered through.

The last place I want to talk about is heritage park. This place was so cool because it was an interactive way to learn about Calgaryโ€™s history. We literally were surrounded by it. It was like going through a time machine. The highlight of this place was probably the amusement park. Whats more exciting than a Ferris wheel? With all the excitement it was hard to mange impulsivity but I did because although the rides were awesome I was also interested in learning.

It was an amazing trip and I will never forget the places we went, the things I learned, and thanks to this blog post, how I managed impulsivity!

Thanks for reading my very long blog post,

See you in the next one.

-Asha