Marvel & 1950โ€™s?

Itโ€™s the end of another week so hello blog! Today I completed milestone three, where I was able to present about a topic related to my podcast and how this topic has changed since the 1950โ€™s. It was a great opportunity to have more knowledge about my topic before writing my podcast script, and to practice presenting which really isnโ€™t my strongest skill so I was glad I got to improve at that.ย 

In my presentation, one of the things I talked about was how television has been used to communicate news. I feel like television is more well known however, as a source of entertainment. We saw this in class when we watched โ€œLeave it to Beaverโ€, a popular show from the 1950โ€™s. TV for entertainment has continued into today, especially with streaming platforms like Netflix and Disney+.

Of course I watch TV as well and there have been some movies and shows Iโ€™ve been interested in lately. As a creative person and someone who likes Marvel movies, I was pretty excited to see a story from the MCU being creatively told in sitcom styles throughout different decades in the new series Wandavision. Why am I talking about a show I like in a blog post about my current project though? Well like I said, each episode is from a different decade, starting with the 1950โ€™s. Even though this show was actually made in 2020, what can we learn about the 50โ€™s in an episode inspired by it?

The episode begins with a wife and husband who have just moved to the suburbs, and of course it is in black and white and the screen is square shaped. The couple sleeps in separate beds as sharing a bed was something that was avoided in television at the time. The showโ€™s creators drew inspiration from a 1950โ€™s show โ€œI Love Lucyโ€ which also showed a middle class couple who take gendered roles of the working husband and housewife.ย 

Like many 50โ€™s sitcoms, the episode tells a story that is not very complicated. The couple have forgotten about a special occasion happening that day and they must remember. As they try to solve the simple problem, an entertaining episode is created and once the issue is resolved the episode concludes. The creators of the show also tried to use production techniques that wouldโ€™ve been used in the fifties, and avoided techniques that use modern technology like CGI. I also noticed inspiration from โ€œTwilight Zoneโ€ during a more unusual and creepy scene towards the end. You will have to watch the series to find out why this episode takes place in the 1950โ€™s though. See you next week blog,

-Asha

2 Replies to “Marvel & 1950โ€™s?”

1. I was hoping someone would do a WandaVision post after the conversations this week. What an incredible show! Interesting too to see the progression of sitcoms that go on throughout the show! How does Wanda’s role change from the 1950’s to the 2000’s?

1. It was a good show! Wandaโ€™s role changed as expectations for women changed. In the 1950โ€™s there were more expectations, and in the 2000โ€™s she got to be a more complicated and realistic character.