Revolution | A Soundtrack

If you have read other blog posts I have written, you would know that we are learning about revolutions. We have been reading this one book called Revolution, by Jennifer Donnelly. I really recommend reading the book before reading this blog post as it will explain my choices and what I am talking about. But then what is this blog post about? Well we recently finished the book, so my class made creative reflections on them. I decided to do a book soundtrack. Basically this was a playlist that had songs that explained or represented a certain event or time in the book, or maybe even the whole book itself. I really hope you read the book and listen to the songs, as they are all good.

I picked 7 songs that I feel like I can relate to the book. These songs were as follows:

Viva La Vida – This song written by Coldplay is literally written in he point of view of King Louis XVI. This song is all about how he had it all and now has nothing. The first verse in the song is “I used to rule the world, seas would rise as I gave the word.” The last line in the chorus is “I used to rule the world”. But I think the strongest line in this song is “Revolutionaries wait, for my head on a silver plate, just a puppet on a lonely string, aww who would ever want to be king?” This line just represents how tough Louis XVI’s situation was. This song relates to the book however because I think it represents that moment when Andi tries to commit suicide. The song is all about how he used to have it all, and Andi felt that. She felt like she and Virgil had finally broken the ice and we’re going be together then sees him kissing another girl. This is where the last couple verses on the song come in. These all talk about how his life is ruined, and I think that’s exactly what Andi was feeling.

Bastille Day – Another song written about the French Revolution, this song is much more upbeat and exciting. The lyrics are about revolution, and I think this directly relates to Alex lighting off fireworks for Louis Charles enjoyment. The thrill of the moment, the fear of capture, I think is all represented in how the song is played and what the lyrics are speaking of. One line in this song is “The guillotine to claim her bloody prize! Free the dungeons of the innocent.” This is exactly what Alex was trying to do. I also think this song represents the start of the book, where Andi is trying to revolt against her father and be this rebellious teenager who wants to show him she won’t be bossed around.

https://youtu.be/azc_FNZXaRw

Moonlight Sonata – This song is not so much about events in the book, but more about the somber ness of the book itself. A lot of death and depression is shown in the book, and I feel like this sad and somber piano piece by a composer of the time of the French Revolution represents it. The melody stays the same in the piece, which I think represents how many people met the same fate during the bloody Reign of Terror. I think this song also represents the inner struggle Andi was having with herself. The depression and the self blame for Truman’s death had a very tough impact on Andi and her mental health. I feel like this song portrays that very well. The music changes volume and is played in a minor key which makes it sound even more depressing. But most of all, some notes are emphasized and the song changes from happy too sad very quickly, which I think represents Andi’s struggles with drugs and her constant mood changes.

Rain Song – This song was mentioned in the book. It was one of the songs Malherbeau listened to when he had Andi’s iPod. He was enthralled by Jimmy Page’s guitar and I think that enough is reason to include this song. But this song also represents that sad yet happy feeling I think Andi was feeling as the book ended. It is a very mellow song and the guitar has odd notes that stand out. I think those represent the changes from Alex to Andi in the book. This song also represents Andi’s conflicted feelings about the Catacombs and Virgil.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond – By far my favourite song in this playlist, this song was another song mentioned in the book. It was actually mentioned by Nathan at the start of the book. Like Moonlight Sonata, this song does not represent a certain time in the book. I feel like it follows a a similar story to the book. It starts of very chill and depressing, much like the start of the book. As the song progresses, it get sadder and sadder, until it hits that breaking point. In the book, I think the breaking point was Andi realizing Alex was dead or seeing Virgil kiss another. The breaking point in the song is right at the minute 4 mark. It is actually directly mentioned by Nathan. He tells Andi to listen to the guitar piece at the 4 minute mark. 4 notes. B-flat, F, G, E. These four notes have such an effect to your heart, and Nathan is right. David Gilmour did get sadness down in 4 notes. I have place these four notes on piano and it sounds just as sad. It is truly an amazing song. But like the book, the song gets happier. Lyrics start to show up and a drum beat comes in. It gets happier. Just like how Andi felt when Virgil kissed her again, or when she met Amade Malherbeau. I feel like it truly represents the plot and storyline of the book, and it is also an amazing song.

One Call Away – One Call Away really represents Virgil and Andi’s relationship. Virgil was Andi’s savoir more than once in the book. This is from Andi’s attempted suicide to the train to even just helping Andi with her music or thesis. Andi was always waiting for a call from Virgil and most of the time wanted to call him but didn’t want to intrud on his privacy.

I Will Remember You – This song is very moving. I think it shows how Andi saw Alex. As another girl against the odds trying to fight a revolution. “Don’t let your life pass you by, and weep not for the memories.” This line could be talking about how Andi was finally starting to become a confident, happy person towards the end of the book, and how Alex was doing everything in her power to make Louis Charles’ last days on Earth good days. I think Andi will remember Alex for the rest of her life, as the song says. This song just shows the deep connection Andi felt to Alex even though they lived over 200 years apart.

Thank you for taking the time to read about my explanations on why I chose these wonderful songs. Thank you and goodnight (or good day).