The Last Jedi – A Movie Review

If I could use one word to describe “The Last Jedi” it would be stunning. From start to finish the viewer will feel like they are part of the movie. The emotion and dialogue is so touching that a simple sentence like “you’re just a child, in a mask” sets the entire plot line for the movie. The comradeship and discipline from the soldiers and rebels is astounding. It pops from the screen and it is impossible to ignore how dedicated these characters were. It was amazing how much the characters story and inner feelings were shown and told to the viewer, without anybody even acknowledging it in the movie. You could just tell by facial expressions made by the actors and the dialogue written. Rey, one of the movies main protagonists, goes through a long journey to bring Luke Skywalker back to the Resistance. This is a reason as to why this film seems so successful. That feeling of nostalgia is restored in many of the Star Wars fans who I have seen the original 6 movies just because of one man. We get to see how Luke Skywalker has grown old.

The director, Rian Johnson, did a wonderful job expressing how the characters felt in every part of the movie. I think something that makes this movie so powerful and touching is how much thought was put into each and every scene, and when it all gelled together to make the final, amazing climax, everything made sense and that maximum point of awe was installed in my body. The emotion and charisma portrayed by Adam Driver, playing Kylo Ren, is simply astounding. He manages to show how much pain and conflict his character is feeling in a few seconds. The camera angles and music just adds to this, perfectly showing the moment to the viewer.

Adam Driver

Although this movie does have flaws, such as a lack of charisma in some scenes, it is a very impressive film. It takes place over about 48 hours but I felt like I was watching an entire year. I think this is a good thing as it shows just how much thought and detail was put into each and every second. Overall a very good film, the eighth movie of the Star Wars sequel trilogy definitely lives up to the hype and expectations, and in a good way. I see this movie as a very good sign for things to come in the Star Wars sequel trilogy. If this film is a sneak peek into the new movie, then I can’t wait to see what J.J Abrams has in store for us.

Benjamin