Week 6 blog challenge

Hey guys it’s Ben and this post is all about how your brain percieves time. My driving question was how can “time fly when you’re having fun”, or how it slows down everything around you in crucial moments. Well I did some research and this is what I found.

There is something in neuroscience called the Oddball effect. The Oddball effect is that when something unusual occurs, your brain devotes more neural resources to it. As a result, it feels as though you were focusing on it for a longer period of time.

Whenever new information demands attention, it can slow down how you perceive time which gives you a longer space to focus and process that new info. In fact, your brain has about a three second window in what new info it wants to store. If overwhelmed by too many choices and information, your brain will freeze and lose track of what’s around you. Any difference in sight and sound that is less than a tenth of a second and your brain will fuse them together and make them simultaneous. There are many good examples of this on this Brain Games episode, a Netflix series all about how your mind works. I can’t embed Netflix onto a post so click here to check it out. Anyways I made a quiz about this subject so check it out and comment below what your score was! See you all later!

4 thoughts on “Week 6 blog challenge

1. Judi says:

Hello Ben,
    I got 3 out of 3 on the quiz, but only because I read your post to begin with! I will have to look at the Netflix series when I can. I find it all quite interesting. I definitely can relate to having a “brain freeze” when there is too much information coming all at once. I wonder, does the age of your brain factor in to all this?

Judi

1. benjamindinh says:

That’s a good question… I would probably think so. As your brain gets older it probably won’t be able to produce as many neural resources so your attentiveness and sense of time might change.

Ben