by

D.I Blog Post

Categories: D.I, Tags: , ,

D.I Blog Post

Intro/Recap

To start my blog post off, I should probably give a bit of a recap! If you didn’t read my previous blog post, it has a more in depth explanation so I suggest you check that out first. I’ll link it below!

Link:https://www.blog44.ca/brooklynw/2024/03/11/d-i-regionals-reflection/

However, I’m sure most of you won’t be checking it out so, I’ll do a quick run through. The previous blog post that I talked about before was about regionals D.I, and just a few days ago my team and I completed the tournament! 

What is D.I?

D.I stands for Destination Imagination and is a project based, kid-driven program that teaches kids to be innovative problem solvers. There were different challenges such as engineering, fine-arts, scientific and/or technical. My group was fine arts and our main challenge was mostly about creativity and props. There were also other components to the challenge that included using a moving piece. (For example simple machines) and then we incorporated it into the story that we needed to write and present. 

A week before, getting ready!

Since everyone in my group went away or was busy during Spring Break (including me), we had to complete all our tasks RIGHT AWAY because the tournament was only a few days away! Even though there wasn’t much we ended up wanting or needing to change, there was still work to be done! Over the course of a few days, we practised our performance quite a few times as   some of us had forgotten our lines.

Changes That Were Made

Even though there weren’t many changes we felt needed to be done, my group and I still decided to fix some things up. For example, a TV prop was redone and some lines were changed up. However the biggest thing we added was more in sync choreography to our song. In my opinion it created a better flow and was more engaging to the audience. Overall, even though there weren’t many changes, everything we did still made a positive impact on our overall performance. 

How The Tournament Went

Personally, I feel that my regional performance was better than my provincials. This is mainly because my lines were more memorized for the regionals. Also by the time provincials came by, my brain was pretty done with D.I. This is not to say the final performance was bad, the audience was laughing non stop and we didn’t make any major mistakes, but we could have done better. I’m okay with how everything turned out though and it was fun to work together with my team.  

Here’s a link to a video where we were just about to present!

Link:   f60ec0f4988440dbb92bb157a255931a

Awards

My team placed fourth, a frustrating one point away from third place, which is what we achieved in regionals. We would have loved to be first but were still proud of what we accomplished! 

I know I did complain a bit throughout D.I but I think it was a great overall learning experience. Despite the challenges my group and I faced, there were still times where I had lots of fun! I look forward to seeing what we do for Destination Imagination next year. 

Stay posted for more posts👍

by

POL Declaration

Categories: Humanities, Maker, Science, Tags: , , ,

Intro

POL Declaration

“Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.”

Transition:

“The first thing I’m going to talk about is some strategies and habits I will work on for the remainder of the school year.” 

Strategies/habits I will work on for the rest of the school year  

Mindfulness and Self-Care(self regulation)🎧

Something Iv’e noticed throughout the school year is that I’m not very good at is prioritizing my self care. When I get an assignment I try to get it done right away to get it off my plate, however I tend to overwork myself. As I work through the rest of the school year Im going to work on prioritizing my well-being by taking breaks when I need them, and engaging in activities that help me get into a healthy and comfortable mind set. Continuing to reflect on my overall health and well-being will help me maintain a balanced lifestyle and optimize my performance in school. 

Coming into tutorial more often

The second strategy I’d like to to work on is coming into tutorial more often. It’s a very helpful tool and I’d like to utilize it. By getting a head start on tasks before the day gets busy, I hope to create a focused environment for productivity. Coming in earlier could help me manage my time better, establish a positive routine. I believe this approach aligns with my goals of maximizing my potential and making the most of my education. In addition to this Im going to try and go to bed earlier so I have an easier time waking up for tutorial.

Learning Plan💪

At the beginning of the year, we got together and made plans for how we wanted to learn and grow. These plans covered a wide range of areas like taking responsibility, staying engaged, behaving well, being honest, getting ready for tasks, managing our time and actions, communicating effectively, and working as a team. Alongside these plans, we also wrote down our thoughts on what we hoped to achieve through our learning experiences.

Statement of learning intent

My learning intent is to comprehend all the information I’m being taught and be proficient or developing in my PLP classes. To do this I can actively engage in class by taking notes and asking questions. Second, I can review my notes regularly to reinforce the material. Third, I can seek additional resources like talking too other PLP students to deepen my understanding. Lastly, I can practice what l’v learned through hands-on activities or real-life applications.

Science Reflection🔬👩‍🔬

I quite enjoy science but there is one thing we learned in particular that I found very interesting. Using the microscopes has been particularly fascinating to me, revealing hidden worlds teeming with life. I loved being able to go outdoors with a container and pretty much pick up anything, seemingly lifeless, and examine it under a microscope. I also appreciate the regular breaks we take, which help me stay focused and refreshed. However, not every aspect of our coursework has been smooth sailing. The project where we created a science-based video game, for instance, proved to be quite challenging. Despite my best efforts, the website would become glitchy, which was frustrating at times. Nevertheless, I still valued the experience as it introduced me to new concepts and skills in game design and programming. It was a learning experience in itself, demonstrating the importance of perseverance and problem-solving in the face of setbacks. Beyond the occasional bumps, the collaborative learning environment has been an overall helpful learning experience, and at times I was able to help others with the video game knowledge I had learned. Overall, science class has enhanced my appreciation for the natural world. I look forward to continuing this journey of exploration, embracing both the successes and the challenges that lie ahead.

This is the link to my video game if you want to check it out:

Maker Reflection

For my maker refection I’d like to talk about my favourite project we did. This project is called “becoming a PLP learner.” Some things I really enjoyed about this project is that I was able to show my artistic side in assignment such as my me emoji. With projects like these I got better at having a good eye for what photos, shapes and colours look good together. However, something about this project that really stood out to me was how much I learned about myself. For example in Becoming a PLP learner presentation I realized how much of a nerd I can become when talking about animals, but in my defence, animals are very interesting. Overall, this project was both enjoyable and enlightening, leaving a lasting impact on my learning journey.

Humanities Refection:

This year has been quite a roller coaster! There were many ups and downs throughout this year. In particular, my humanities class stands out as a significant part of my school experience. It was a subject that not only broadened my understanding of various cultures, histories, and philosophies but also encouraged my critical thinking and creative expression. Similarly, when studying history, we didn’t focus solely on overarching narratives but also examined specific events, movements, and perspectives that played vital roles in shaping the course of history.  were encouraged to express our thoughts and ideas in meaningful ways. This not only helped to deepen our understanding of the subject matter but also fostered a sense of ownership and engagement in our learning process.

I’ve now said quite a few good things about Humanities but that doesn’t mean it was all perfect! There were many tough and stressful days throughout the year, and at times, I thought I’d never get through it! As you can see I am here and alive right now so clearly I did. I don’t want this to sound like an advertisement but the app “things” quite literally saved my life.

Growth

This brings me into my growth I’ve made this year. In September there we’re so many apps we were introduced to and so many different functions! However I made a lot of growth learning how to operate the apps such as Things which I mentioned earlier. Apart from Things another app I found worked really well with my learning style is Showbie. This is mainly because Showbie, like many of the PLP apps is very organized.  I’m the type of person that relies on writing down what I need to get done so I can have the satisfaction of checking it off. Despite the initial challenges, I’ve successfully learned how to operate essential tools like Things and Showbie. These apps have become fundamental to my workflow, providing organization and satisfaction as I tackle tasks. Looking ahead, I’m excited to continue leveraging these tools to further enhance my productivity and achieve my goals.

“As I reflect on my growth, I’m grateful for the support and feedback received. Moving forward, I’m excited to continue leveraging these experiences to enhance my learning and achieve my goals. Thank you for your time and contributions to my growth as a learner.”

by

AR Story Telling

Categories: Humanities, Tags: , , ,

AR Story Telling 

Intro

For this project we learned about storytelling and all the different and important aspects of creating one. We also learned how to operate an app called AR Makr! (I’ll just call it AR though, because it’s easier) You probably don’t know what AR is but don’t worry, I’ll explain everything in good time!

Learning  About The History

We needed to understand what we were talking about (historically) so as a class we would do readings and small assignments to show our understanding. 

We learned many things about European exploration. Technology that helped them travel, what motivated them to take such dangerous voyages, consequences of exploration and how does it still affected my world today. These were some of the things I learned during this project and it was so much fun!

Overview of What I Did

The Process

Playing Around With The AR App 

As a way to get used to AR we made a short easy story to understand how it worked! 

How to Work AR

1. The first thing you need to do is find a clean space like a floor or desk, but it can be glitchy at times. 

2. Once you’ve done that you create the drawings you want to insert into your story!

3.  After that is completed I would place my drawing where I wanted them and start filming! 

4. Lastly, you can either voice over your video after words or just talk while filming, and that about sums it up! 

My Thoughts on AR

To be blunt, I wasn’t really the biggest fan of AR. It was pretty glitchy and hard to operate but I really like the idea of it! It’s a fun way to express our creativity while giving cool visuals. 

Notes I Made

Remember how I said we did some in class learning? Well these are some of the notes I made!

Learning About the Technology

At this point in the project we started to learn about the different tools Europeans used in general and to travel as well as the history of them. We did some drawings of a few different technologies and we wrote a bit about them. I’ll show a few below!

Something I Loved About This Project 

I really enjoyed that while we were in the learning experience of this project we hardly ever just read a website and were expected to remember everything. Instead, we were given fun templates or ways to remember what we’d learned. Like how we learned about the technology!   This also applies when we learned about the exploration and the causes and consequences of it.

Collaboration and Getting Feedback

This is something I’v done many times throughout school, not just in PLP and it’s a great way to improve your work! A few times in the project the class would get into groups and do “two stars and a wish” with whatever we were working on at that point.

What is Two Stars and a Wish?

Two stars and a wish is when you give two positive comments and one comment on what you could improve on. For example if I made a drawing my friend would say two nice things and one way I could improve.

My Final Story Draft+How it Went

Here is my final story draft, but it was no easy process. I believe I revised it three times!  Every time it was critiqued I got one step closer and had my friends and peers to help out along the way. These critiques were very helpful though, because every time I changed it, not only did it get better but I understood and learnt more about the project!

Answering The Driving Question

The Driving Question:

The driving question for this project is, “how can we use storytelling to investigate what sparked global exploration and understand its impact.

Storytelling is an amazing tool to investigate what sparked global exploration and understand its impact. To do this I used firsthand narratives, (in this case not a First Nation narrative because of cultural insensitivity) and even fictional stories set in that time period to get a deeper understanding. By analyzing the motivations, challenges, and outcomes of explorers, I could paint a vivid picture of how global exploration shaped the world. 

The One and Only AR Video!!!

Here is the video of my AR story. I really liked how it turned out, and considering that this is pretty much my first time doing something like this, I think I did well! 

AR Video: 

Truth be known, I had lots of fun with this project! I learned so much and I got to incorporate my artistic side while doing so many drawings!  Even though there were some bumps as I progressed in the project everything turned out great. I hope to do similar things in the future! (Im sure I will)

by

D.I Regionals Reflection

Categories: Maker, Tags: , ,

DI Regionals Reflection

Intro

To start this off, I would first like to say that I won’t divulge certain aspects of new modifications or ideas my group will have in the provincial round at the start of April. We don’t want to give anything away to our competitors!

What Went Well

Below I’ll list my top four favourite successes in our presentation.

The Comedy

Out of everything, the comedy was probably one of my favourite aspects of our overall performance. We would always have the audience laughing and engaged or interested in what would happen next. I’ve posted the full video to my YouTube channel so I’ll put the link to that below!

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O35sXmUaw7U

Teamwork, Communication and Collaboration 

My team worked well throughout the process of creation and completion. Everyone helped and did their part as well as listening to others ideas. At no point was anyone left unheard or their ideas pushed aside. At one point or another, we all gave a good idea and contributed to the final solutions.    

Props 

Probably the biggest and most impressive prop we worked the hardest on was the leaning Tower of Pisa. This was what our whole presentation was about so it did have to be pretty good. When the group made the 5 foot tower of awesomeness and radicalness, (that doesn’t sound grammatically correct, but just go with the flow) it also came back to the group work, as we all contributed and helped out with the tower. Thou was burnt by a ferocious glue gun in the process, but this did not deter me from creating a jaw dropping piece of art.   

Being Prepared 

As the tournament started to come closer, we definitely picked up the pace, practising every day we could and even working on it in our own time, for example long weekends and Saturday and Sunday. Everything paid off though, because once the presentation day finally came, we had it 100% down. Seeing how stressed other groups were, made us realize how ready we actually ended up being. I feel it showed in our overall performance and the fact that we WON SECOND PLACE! 

What I’d Like to Improve On 

Now, there isn’t a whole lot I can say here, however, I can give you the gist of things. The things I would like to improve on are a redesign of our TV prop and making sure we have a total success rate of the flow of some parts in our presentation. If we put our minds together I’m sure we can work something out!

How I Contributed and What I Learned in The Process

While we were great as a group, we each had specific things we excelled at. For example, my two biggest contributions I made for the group were prop making since I was the most artistic, and creating the scripts.This isn’t to say that I did these 100% on my own but I was a leader in these categories. Although, the one thing that I contributed 99% to was my leadership skills. I was the one to create schedules, and to-do lists for each member as well as get the group back on track when needed. I never sought out to be the “leader” if you would call it that, but it just happened. Overall I feel the leadership role was, and usually is, a natural fit for me.

In conclusion, I think that this tournament was a great overall success and I am excited to see how the assessors rate us in provincials. Stay tuned for an update!  

Shout Outs 

For my shout outs, I would like to thank my team, of course, Daniel, Gemma, Madeline and Emilia. I will add links to their blogs if you want to check them out!

Links:  

Gemma:  http://www.blog44.ca/Gemmak/

Madeline:  http://www.blog44.ca/madelinej/

Emilia:  http://www.blog44.ca/Emiliaw/

Marcus:  http://www.blog44.ca/marcusr/

Danny:  http://www.blog44.ca/danielj/

by

Mind Over Matter!

Categories: Science, Tags: , , ,

Mind Over Matter

Intro

For this blog post I’ll be talking about my most recent science project, “Mind Over Matter.” I’ll be going into depth on how I built and learned how to make my video game about atoms, as well as some of the challenges I faced making it. Now that that’s out of the way, let’s get started!

About the Scratch Website 

To make this video game we used this app called Scratch. The fun thing about Scratch is that you can learn and make so many new and different things! Scratch is a free website that anyone can access. Another interesting fact about this game is that people all around the world can publicly post games they’ve made and you can try them out! 

My First Impression 

If I’m being completely honest when I first tried out Scratch, I didn’t like it one bit! It was glitchy, confusing and a completely new experience. There were so many options and codes to make a video game, it was pretty overwhelming. I found ways to overcome this though! 

Learning About Scratch  

Learning about Scratch was a bit of a process, but once I got the hang of it, everything became so much easier. Since there were so many things you could make on Scratch, they couldn’t possibly create a tutorial for everything, now could they? So I had to resort to YouTube! (It is very helpful, you should try it sometime.) YouTube wasn’t my ONLY helpful source though, I could always rely on my friends, classmates and teachers, too!  

Project Criteria

Now, for this project, yes, there was obviously a criteria but it was pretty wide ranged. What I mean is that we needed to make a video game that showed our knowledge of atoms but we  could choose what we wanted to do from there! For example, a friend of mine made a game where your goal was to catch an atom. Throughout their video game, my friend demonstrated their knowledge about atoms and a few other science related topics that surrounded this project.

My Video Game Proposal + What My Video Game is About 

My Video Game Proposal

Below is the criteria for making MY video game proposal

Here is the proposal I submitted for my video game. (note that SOME things in this proposal may have changed since I made the proposal a while before I finished my video game)

My Video Game

My game is called “Atoms Trivia” which is pretty self explanatory so you may have already guessed what it’s about.  

This single player game starts off with a character introducing the rules. In my game, you’re asked 10  yes or no questions, all relating to atoms.  

If you’re interested, this is your “teacher” in my video game. 

Your goal is to get as many points as possible by the time you’ve reached the end of the game. I tried to incorporate some humour into this game, so if you do play it and get some answers wrong, don’t be offended by the teacher’s negative responses. Something to note is that some of the questions you’re given are very easy, while others are a bit tricky.  Overall, this game is a great way to test your knowledge about atoms, and if you don’t do well the first time, you’re always able to try again!

How I Answered The Driving Question 

There were many ways I showed my knowledge of an atoms in my video game. For example, Since it was a trivia game, I demonstrated my understanding of atoms by having the correct responses when the player answered “yes” or “no.” In addition to this some of my questions were quite in depth and specific, which showed I knew what I was talking  about.  

How I Showcased My Creativity In My Scratch Game!

I showcased my creativity in my video game in a few ways. For example, I would say I had a creative video game idea (my trivia) and I really enjoyed the answers I coded into the teacher. For example, when you got a question right sometimes she would say “awesome sauce” or “splendid”, which I found pretty funny!  

In conclusion, even though at first Scratch was challenging to learn, I used the resources available to help me along the way! My hard work paid off though because I am very happy with my video game result! If you would like to check out my game, I’ll put the link below.

Link:https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/970985741/

by

My Radical Poems

Categories: Humanities, Uncategorized, Tags: , , ,

My Radical Poems

My Radical Poems

The driving Question

The driving question for this project is “how might I write poetry that I enjoy and show who I am?” The book above is all of the poems I learned how to put together!  

Before I continue, I’ll show some of the criteria for the “e-book” so you have a bit of an understanding about it.

Intro

Throughout the past few days we learned how to do many poems, some of which I had never even heard of! Although we did have a few setbacks, like the snow days (I’ll talk about that later) we did as much as we could in the time we had. Keep in mind, poetry was never something I liked to do in the past, it was always something that I would dread doing in school. So I wasn’t very ecstatic about this unit, although you may see my opinion change through the poems I did. I have found it interesting to read sometimes but it was never something I wanted to do myself. 

Sometimes you are expected to find so much more within the poem instead of just reading it for enjoyment. 

Throughout the many poems styles we created, there were some I liked and others that I wouldn’t want to do again. For example I really enjoyed the “found” poem. It was fun just being able to pick up a random book and make a poem out of it. 

My Favourite Poem

I selected this book from the LAC room, not really knowing what I was looking for or how it was going to end up. If I had chosen a book from home, I would have flipped to my favorite page, and it would have been good BUT I wouldn’t have put much thought into it. By choosing a book I had never seen, the outcome of possibilities was endless. I had no pre-mindset of what I wanted. The end result was a poem that I’m quite proud of, as it has a lot of meaning, mood and emotions. This poem shows a lot of who I am because it feels like the things I enjoy and is relatable. 

Found Poem

The Ocean Breeze

Stood quite still, listening

The lights glowed

The books were neat and orderly in their cases

The bay stretched dark and silent

It was late September, the night was breathless

Summers dead hand still lay heavy on the land

The tiny spark hissed and went out

In the dark, the moon alone at night

The loneliness, starlight

The other poem I really liked making was the imagery poem. This is probably because I’m a very visual person and I like to paint a picture in my head of how the words turn into a story. 

For example when I was writing about my fish tanks, I felt like I could really picture them as I was writing. There’s DEFINITELY a mood to it. It’s a very bubbly and light hearted poem in my opinion.

Imagery Poem

In a glass oasis, fish dance and shimmer,

Plants sway, creating a watery glimmer.

Bubbling streams, rocks and caves to explore,

A hidden world, a serene place to adore.

The Poem I Didn’t Like so Much

Haikus

Although it is an unpopular opinion, I’m not fond of haikus one bit. What could be easier than writing three lines about nature?? However, I find it irritating when I get a good idea, write it down and it’s not the right amount of syllables. It’s just annoying… not much else to say. 

How May I Write Poetry That I Enjoy and shows who I am?

For me personally, I write poetry better when there are less rules, for example a free verse poem. With a free verse poem you can say just the right words without having to worry about if there are the right syllables or a rhyme scheme and what not. I like poems that are more personal and don’t just say exactly what they mean. That way it reaches the right audience. The poetry I enjoy is creative and about the things I can relate to. 

When I go to write poems the mood and the tone are probably the most important piece of it. How I’m feeling in that moment definitely impacts how the poem ends up and what audience it’s going to reach. I’d say it’s probably one of the biggest pieces of the poem. 

In conclusion, even though I still don’t ADORE poetry, I do feel my perspective on it has changed. I’ve gained a greater understanding of what it really means to be a poet and that there are so many different poetry styles out there. I believe this project was a good learning experience for me.

by

My Showcased Work

Categories: Humanities, Uncategorized, Tags: , ,

My Showcased Work

By:Brooklyn

Intro:

For the past few weeks my classmates and I have worked on making a triptych. Now, you may be thinking, what the heck is that, and how did you do it? Well, read more and you’ll find out!

What’s a Triptych?

Before I explain what we did, you’ll need to understand what a triptych actually is! Triptychs are three pictures or carvings on three separate panels, typically hinged together side by side and used as an altarpiece. Now that you know what a triptych is, let’s actually get started!

My Groups Triptych 

To get a better understanding of how our triptych was going to play out every group needed to make a digital version of what it was going to look like. Below is my groups digital version. 

This was our final digital version. We sketched drafts before hand. I will show these below. 

The Process We Went Through

The triptych we strived to make was of the medieval times, Renaissance era and contemporary, or modern. At the start of this project all we were doing was learning about Medieval Times as well as the Renaissance and contemporary eras, which was actually a lot of work. I should probably tell you before we continue though, the triptych we made was not the ordinary triptych you may see. Instead of a painting or carving, WE were in the triptych. Pretty cool, huh? 

As an audience member it may have seemed like a simple task to do this, but let me tell you, it was not! This is one of the reasons everyone was put into groups. Below are some of the photos of props we made.    

Here is a small video o

Of course, like anyone else we ran through some problems but as a group we worked through them! There was a speaker for each scene and while the speaker was explaining what the said scene was about, for example the Medieval Times, the rest of the group members would be behind a certain changing into clothes that represent Medieval Times as well as incorporating props that we made into the triptych.

Photos and Videos of How the Exhibition Went! 

At the exhibition all of our hard worked finally payed off. If you didn’t already know, as a grade 8 PLP student, this is our first exhibition so everything about this is new to me and my classmates. Although as this school year progresses I will continue to learn new things and grow not just as a PLP, student but as a person.

My Power Play Post & How This Project Built on 

If you would like to check out my power play post, click on the link below.

https://www.blog44.ca/brooklynw/2023/11/26/the-story-behind-my-artwork/

Radical Innovation and How it’s Going has build on our previous power play project in many ways. For instance, learning about history and its societal impact throughout time allows me to gain a broader perspective on my current worldview. I gained a greater understanding on how the people in the Renaissance and Medieval times functioned in their everyday lives. For example, a lot of decisions were made off of their economical status. In addition, it was a time of patriarchy, where men were always or often the leaders and felt their opinions outweighed that of a woman. Lastly, The Medieval part of the triptych became part of the overall triptych, which I showed earlier in this post.

The Driving Question

The Driving question for project is “What can we learn from the past and why does that matter to us today?” Within this project I have gained a greater understanding of how learning from the past applies to us today. For example I’ve learned the importance of art, science and literature which has made a lasting impact on our society today. In addition to this, throughout this assessment I have become more aware of how lucky I am to live in this society and be surrounded by all these wonderful people.

My Renaissance Photos and Paragraphs + Improvements From my Drafts 

The first Renaissance photo is not revised, while the second is.

Not Revised 

Revised

Original Renaissance Photo 

Improved Renaissance Photo

Group Members Blogs

I will link my group members blogs below if you’d like to check them out!

https://www.blog44.ca/milainac/

https://www.blog44.ca/kieral/

https://www.blog44.ca/maggiet/

https://www.blog44.ca/oliverf/

In  conclusion, this project was a LOT of work, but it was worth it! I learned so much about the Medieval, Renaissance and contemporary eras as well as how to get better at working in groups. It was an amazing experience and opportunity, I look forward to doing similar projects.

by

Drawings and Doodles!

Categories: Maker, Tags: , , , ,

Drawings and Doodles!

By: Brooklyn

Introduction

For this project we focused on learning how to draw in Sketches Pro. We learned about all the features it had to offer, and the different tools we could use. In this blog post I’ll be showing you my favourite drawings that I made and take you through how I did it. Let’s get started!

Learning The Basics

Before I made any actual drawings, I  learned about the app “Sketches Pro” and how to work it. In the picture below I’m drawing a rough sketch of all the tools and brushes I could use.

Shapes

As a good starting point, the first drawing we made was just focusing on shading and drawing 2 and 3D shapes. That was the only criteria for this since is was more for us to learn. Keeping this in mind, I chose a shapes and colours of my choice.

The Emoji

This is one of the drawings I’m particularly proud of. For this drawing the criteria was pretty simple. We needed to draw a emoji. This could be an image you made up or something that already exists. I used my knowledge from the shapes to create my final product. Personally, I made something up for my emoji but I was inspired by a meme and a facial expression I’m able to do. 

The Robot

At this point we were progressing into bigger drawings. For this assignment I needed to make a robot out of shapes, but the idea could be as crazy as you wanted it to! This being said, mine is pretty out of the ordinary. When I was making this I didn’t have a set idea of what this was going to look like so I just went with the flow. I’m going to be completely honest here, the robot is cool but it looks  like it just experienced World War 2.

Business Cover

Over all the drawings and doodles I’v done, this is by far my favourite.  My job was to create a business cover for a store I made up. I definitely struggled trying to find ideas for a business, but it ended up working out great! My business is pretty much what it sounds like, a café with ferrets! Don’t worry though, they don’t bite!

I had a lot of fun with this project, and I hope you enjoyed reading all about it! As the project progressed I believe the improvement of my skills and techniques was evident. I look forward to doing more projects where I can use these skills again!

by

The Story Behind my Artwork!

Categories: Maker, Tags: , ,

The Story Behind my Artwork!

By: Brooklyn

Art and Explanation

For my artwork the criteria was to find artwork which represented geography, time, society, values, beliefs, economy and knowledge during Medieval times and incorporate myself into it. I was alIowed to find artwork online or use the ones I had already found and explained in my Artwork Choice Chart that I had created in a previous assignment. I decided to use the art from the Artwork Choice Chart and placed the images into a PLP app called SuperimposeX. This was much more challenging than you would think because I needed to combine all these pieces of artwork together while still making my own personal image the primary focus. By layering, erasing, smudging and masking the photos I was able to blend my artworks together in a way that looked cohesive and made sense.

The Process I Went Through to Understand the Learning and Create the Product

As I worked through this project, I learned how to operate SuperImposeX, and all the functions it had to offer. In class we watched a tutorial on how to use all the basic functions of this app and I had the teacher and classmates to help me if there was something I didn’t understand. Throughout this project I learned more about  medieval artwork and how it connects to my worldview.

Reflect on How I was Proficient 

I believe I demonstrated a number of qualities in my artwork that showed my proficiency. For example, in the “processing” part of this project I made notes in class about the historical information being shared. This helped me deepen my understanding about Medieval times as the project progressed. In addition to this my in class learning and participation showed that I can successfully communicate and collaborate with my classmates when needed. Throughout the making of my artwork I have reflected and revised my initial artwork, deepening my understanding of what proficiency looks like. By making my artwork, I got the chance to get a better understanding of how worldview can be recognized in medieval art, as well as further reflecting on myself as a high school student.

Paragraph to Explain my Art

By knowing about the medieval times and how it connects today, I can learn a lot about how it relates to me and realize how fortunate I am to live in the society I do. Learning from the past is very important because it helps me understand where we come from and why things are the way they are today. By studying history, I can learn from the successes and mistakes of those who came before us. It gives me valuable insights into different cultures, societies, and events that have shaped our world. Three important aspects of the past that have positively changed in today’s world are women’s rights, understanding of geography, and beliefs.

In the Medieval times, society acted very poorly to one another, especially women. For example women and girls were sold or married off at extremely young ages. They had no consent or control over this whatsoever.  I am very lucky to live how I do now because of women’s rights specifically, and also human rights in general have gotten a lot better. I have opinions about my future that are recognized and heard. My future is determined by me, and me alone. 

Secondly, in the time we live in now our knowledge of geography has become increasingly better than in the Medieval times. For example, we know that sea monsters and things of that sort don’t exist. This was a key factor that stopped people in Medieval times from exploring the world as much as they could have. We now know about weather patterns and cause and effect for many events that can take place.

Finally, although many people now still have strong beliefs, such as in Christianity, our approach to beliefs is very different. I am allowed to be a part of any religion, or none at all, without punishment. I feel very safe knowing that I am allowed to express my opinions without having such severe consequences. Today’s world allows for more free thinking and acceptance. 

Throughout this assignment, I’ve learned a lot about the past and how it applies to me today. I know my life is much better than what it would have been if I lived in the Medieval times. “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” This quote is most likely written by writer and philosopher George Santayana. Our world would be much different now if no one had spoken up for what was right.

by

Becoming a PLP Learner, Reflective Blog Post

Categories: Maker, Tags: , ,

Reflective Blog Post

By: Brooklyn

Introduction

Recently my classmates and I completed a big project in PLP, Maker. Our task was to make a powerpoint in Keynote about our PLP journey so far. The driving question for this was, “who am I as a PLP learner?” Let’s get started!

My Reflection

For my reflection I will be splitting it into five parts, my WordPack, I Am Photo, Highlighted Work and the parts that worked well and didn’t work well.

My WordPack

My WordPack and I am photo (which I will talk about later) I would say was an easier portion of this project. Using a PLP app we combined a list of words that best described our self, and the app put it into a shape of your

choice as well as a font and colour of your choice.

I Am Photo

For my I Am Photo I decided on something that I am, for example “I am a hockey player.” Instead of a hockey player though, I did it about my love for K-pop. In a quick summary I took a photo of me beside k-pop related merchandise and with my Apple Pencil, doodled some  related images on it.

My Highlighted Work

(aka my Nike shoe)

For my highlighted work I learned many functions of Keynote and how it operated. Some of the tools I learned, I wasn’t even aware existed! For example I was given a template of a Nike shoe to colour. This piece of the project was meant to help us learn more about how Keynote works and to encourage us to play around with the functions it had to offer. I chose colours from the pink and burgundy spectrum for my Nike shoe because they looked good together which is funny as I don’t even like the colour pink. This process allowed me to discover how Keynote functions worked  and expand my knowledge of the PLP apps.

The Parts that Worked Well/What Didn’t

The title explains it pretty well as to what I’m going to be talking about, so let’s get right into it!

What Worked Well (something I’m proud of)

First off I’ll talk about what worked well in my project. I would say there are a number of things in the keynote presentation that turned out well, but for the sake of your insanity I’ll only talk about two.

What Worked Well, My Me Emoji

The first one I’m going to talk about is my Me-Emoji. As a class we created an emoji, also known as the “Me-Emoji”, to look like us. Then we used the Me-Emoji emote to make our character hold an iPad, therefore incorporating the aspect of PLP. The next step I took was importing images onto my characters iPad, as well as taking away the background so they looked like stickers. Lastly I animated the “stickers” to add an aesthetic touch to my  presentation.

What Worked Well, My Settings

For this portion of my project I talked about my three settings. Radical friend, Student, and Fish Amphibian and Reptile Obsessive. These three settings were really fun to make, especially  because I had the freedom to add a lot of  humour to it.    

What Didn’t Work Well

I wouldn’t say there was a certain part of my project that was a total fail but as I was looking over my Keynote presentation something caught my eye. I’m well aware I just mentioned how much I liked my Me-Emoji, (which I still do) but the resolution was quite poor. This was because I screen recorded my Me-Emoji (since it had animation features) unfortunately due to this the overall product didn’t look quite as pretty as it could have. It’s not the end of the world but it’s definitely something that could have been better.

In conclusion, I think I learned a lot In this project, and it was a lot of fun to make. In addition to this, I also believe reflecting is one of the most important part of a project, to notice what you could improve on and giving yourself credit for what you did well is a really good life skill to have. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed reading my reflection!

1 2