Destination Procrastination

A blog for kids who can’t read good and wanna learn to do other stuff good too

The best ads ever

In class we have been working on advertising. The main project was that we had to design a print ad for a business in Oregon. Our first step was to start closer to home working to advertise a local business. We called three different business before we got to the Raven, a local pub. When we called the Raven, as luck would have it, the manager we spoke with informed us that the owner works at our school. We were able to conduct our interview in our own classroom, making it so much easier than needing to travel. The owner told us he wanted to keep the ad in an “Old School” style, and that he wanted to feature the Raven Burger as the chef is very proud of it.
This is my first draft, as you can tell it needs a lot of work! The picture isn’t very good because I cut it out from a larger image I found online.  
I showed it to my class, for their feed back. They agreed the picture needed work.

Raven Ad Draft #1
I created a second draft to incorporate their ideas and my own.
For my second draft I even went to the Raven myself to eat and take a photo of the burger I wanted to highlight in my ad. It tasted really, really good by the way! I’m very proud of my second draft.

Raven Ad Draft #2 

Now for the key project! I travelled to Oregon with my class. We pulled up to Nisa’s Thai Kitchen. They sat us at two long tables and immediately started serving the amazing food. I had to move extremely quickly to take a few photos before 20 starving Grade 8 students devoured it all. After dinner we interviewed the very accommodating people from Nisa’s Thai to get their ideas on an ad. They gave us a lot of great feedback about the first ads we had designed for them, and direction for what changes they wanted to see. Since this meeting, we’ve been experimenting with different versions by changing the fonts, background and images. Each new draft builds upon the last and gets a great deal better.

Nisa’s Thai Kitchen Ad Draft #1   

So for my first draft, my pictures of the food are great, but my layout needs some work. For the next several drafts, I kept the background and the elephant, as well as the food photos. For the background, I took a photo of their actual menu to capture the feel of the restaurant and get a better quality graphic. Below is my final (I hope) draft. I’m quite proud of it!

Nisa’s Thai Kitchen Ad Final (I hope) 

calebe • October 23, 2017