TPOL 2023

Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress.  We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.

Welcome to my grade 10 tPOL. In this post I will cover all my biggest learnings and achievements throughout the year.

The start of every school year brings mixed emotions for me…excitement for seeing old friends, learning new things but also the anxiety of keeping up with all the work and trying to keep on track.

I wasn’t sure how it would be this year with both Science and Math not in PLP anymore but I was looking forward to taking classes that would include other Seycove students.  Math and Science have never been my strong subjects but I think it definitively helped having them not part of PLP and I feel did pretty well in those subjects this year.

Humanities had a slow and not productive start for me but I did enjoy the BC History project  and everything I learned about the Early BC Gold Rush, the Chilcotin War and World War I Interment of Ukrainians.

The first field study of the year was the Loon Lake trip. This was the second time we’ve gone to loon lake, but it was very different this time, with a workshop about personal productivity and growth.  The group that led our 3-day intensive group work sessions, where we focused on personal productivity and growth, felt quite familiar as I had spent 1 week at the YES leadership camp last summer.  Many of the activities were quite similar and i found the first three days at Loon Lake very fun as i was just continuing to build on these skills.  We did many group dynamics activities and also worked on our personal growth through reflection and also through the group work.

We FINALLY were able to go on our very first real field study with our trip to DisneyWorld and Kennedy Space Center in Florida!!!  The trip was titled Power of Imagination.  That was a super fun trip with lots of exciting and interesting things to learn and do.  From the rides to the food to the long days and new experiences, we had such a good time on field study with PLP 10.  One of the coolest things was meeting and listening to the Astronaut while at Kennedy Space Center.

Maker and PGP this year focused on self promotion, marketing and finances.  Although I didn’t get all my assignments handed in, I learned a lot about my personal strengths, marketing myself and my passions and the stock market.  I find it super hard to focus on my strengths when my mind wants to focus on my weaknesses.  It’s a self-sabotaging mechanism that takes over my brain and makes me very stuck.  I push myself but my negative brain talk pushes back harder.  The small successes I do have push me forward a bit but honestly, not enough to get ‘outta my head.’

This brings me to wrap up my tPOL for grade 10.  I go into everything with curiosity and excitement but inevitably feel so overwhelmed that I can’t manage it all and feel like giving up.  The projects pile up and my anxiety gets ahold of me and I can’t focus.  I know I need to manage my time better and I know after all this time that I’m just not very good at it.  I know I am capable of much greater things and I just need my brain to stop micromanaging me.

Thank you for listening to my grade 10 TPOL