🇮🇪Sunday, Bloody Sunday🇮🇪

“I can’t believe the news today,

Oh I can’t close my eyes and make it go away.”

In 1983, the globally successful band of Irish origin, U2, released a song called Sunday, Bloody Sunday. The song was a worldwide hit, but the message behind it struck the hearts of many much deeper that you might think. If you listen closely, the lyrics tell a very distinct story. I’ve been tasked with proving the historical significance of an event of my choosing in this post. A quick refresher on what defines historical significance was necessary for me, so why you save you the time by going over it. 

At it’s core, the difference between history and the past is as follows, 

“The past is everything that has ever happened to anyone anywhere since the beginning of time. History, by contrast, is an interpretation of selected moments from the past.”

– Bryan Hughes 

If we go off of that logic, we are posed with the question, who gets to decide what is history and what is simply the past? That’s a loaded question and we’ll circle back to it in depth at a later date. Although today, I am defining something as historically significant on my terms. 

Chickenonline / Pixabay

The Troubles in Ireland lasted decades, reaching their peak in the 70’s. One particular event caught the attention of the global eye in January of 1972. The Troubles themselves are what is known as an irregular war. It wasn’t on a global scale but it still managed to effect the lives of millions. Essentially, the entire motive was to have Northern Irish citizens regain their rights and have the country be whole again. Obviously that did not play out as imagined by the Irish and the IRA due to the fact that Ireland is still divided to this day. Now, if I had to pick one event from within the Troubles to represent the civil and ethical side of the war, it would be Bloody Sunday. 

Source

Going back to U2, we hear Bono say, “how long, how long must be sing this song?” The song which he is referring to is the civilian outcry in Ireland. While that is broad, I’ll bring your attention towards the branch of protest that took place on January 30th 1972. Northern Irish Catholic protesters were shot and killed by British paratroopers during a peaceful march protesting the British policy of internment of any suspected Irish nationalists. Basically, if they suspected that an Irish citizen, innocent or not, was belonging to the IRA or a nationalist of any sort, they could hold them in prison without evidence for an uncertain amount of time. It wasn’t the first time Britain had used a political tactic to hush the voices of Irish citizens. Gerry Conlan is a prime example of the disregard for basic civil rights by the Brits. 

Source

Now why exactly do I think Bloody Sunday deserves to stand out amongst the entirety of the Troubles? On February 2nd 1972, Irish citizens burned the British embassy in Dublin. Hundreds of protests took place within days of the attack. Like said previously, it caught the attention of the entire world. It was a turning point in the war and caused an upsurge of support for the IRA. It was globally recognized that what was happening in Northern Ireland, was a serious matter of civil rights. This proves that it was notable at the time, and still is today. The consequences of it are still evident in current politics as wells as under an ethical lens. The symbolism it holds had a magnitude that is so large, Bono wrote a song about it. If that’s not enough for you, there are memorials annually across Ireland, north and south, honouring the lives taken that day and the effect it had on the country and world. 

Source

What many don’t understand about the song, Sunday, Bloody Sunday, is that it became an anthem for Irish people across the globe. It puts the harsh realities of a dark and recent history into perspective in a way that is understandable for anyone trying to untangle the entire mess of it. Bloody Sunday was one of the most historically significant events, and possibly the biggest turning point in the entire war. The song doesn’t romanticize war, death, and murder. It is honest and does a great job at defining the significance of Bloody Sunday. Let it be remembered, mourned, and taught, for it’s significance to history and to anyone it has or will affect.

Ciara