My First Ever mPOL!

I hope you enjoy listening to my presentation of learning and that you enjoy hearing all about my PLP journey so far!

Introduction

Hello!

Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.

Humanities

Our first project in Humanities was Called “Its the end of the world as we know it” when I was first introduced to the project I felt like I wanted to throw up because I thought I was going to have to make a song and then sing it in front of everyone by myself! Luckily we did it in groups but it was still scary! We had to read a book called the outsiders. It wasn’t a bad book I kind of  even liked it! We learnt a lot about worldview and that helped me with my future projects as well! Another project we did in humanities was the “Winter Exhibition” this project was very stressful and it was my very first time doing one, I was very nervous about it! I really enjoyed working with my group and creating all the props for the presentation at the end. I really feel like that Julia and I did a good job making sure our group knew what they were doing and making sure that everything got done on time.

Click here to see my Winter Exhibition blog post!

What I did well and what I didn’t

Writing the song and singing our song really helped me build up my confidence with other people and it gave me courage to speak in front of the class and I took that confidence to my other classes as well. I really think that this project helped me talk to other people who I didn’t know and it made me able to talk to other people in my class and I made new friends by doing so!

One thing that I didn’t do very well was finding time to do the homework. At the start of the year I was always leaving my homework until late and then I would have to rush to at the end, so that wasn’t something that I was doing well. I was also not good at working with people I didn’t know so that project really got me talking and working with other people.

This is our music video!➡️

Maker

Maker has been my favourite class so far this year, I have learnt so much like how to write blog posts and how to use apps like “Sketches Pro”and“Keynote!” One of my favourite things that we did was designing our Nike shoe. I really liked designing it because it was really cool to be able to design a shoe! We did a project called “Blog like a boss” where we had to learn how to make and write blog posts. At first I was very nervous and I didn’t at all want to post my work to my blog where everyone in the world could access it. I would stress at night whenever I had to post something. We also had to make a YouTube channel for our videos we made during school. I did not like posting stuff there because I found it stressful and kind of confusing.

My Memoji!

Something that I as a PLP leaner did was make a Memoji of themselves. The Memoji we used is the person sitting at the computer👩‍💻. But on the front of the laptop we have to add stickers that represent us! I really enjoyed this but I felt like I kept trying to make it perfect as I re-did it many times over! It was one of my favourite things we did in this project and I really enjoyed making it!

What I did well and what I didn’t

One thing that I did well was writing long blog post with lots of detail so you could really understand what I was talking about. I also did a really good job at doing all the work and handing it in on time so it wasn’t late.

Something I didn’t so very well and something I have improved on is not being scared with posting my blog post. I was terrified and that meant that I posted my post at the last minute and I would stress about it the whole time. It took me a while to get used to posting things on my blog but by now I’m very used to it. I still need to work on not getting nervous when posting my things on YouTube because I don’t like everyone being able to see videos I have made.

Science

I have really enjoyed science this semester! I have had a lot of fun learning about atoms and I especially had fun making my video game! Because that is what we had to do in this project, make a video game! For my video game I made a trivia game, before this we were learning all about atoms and how they were discovered and who discovered  them. I really enjoyed making my video game on scratch and learning how to use it, I did watch multiple videos on how I should do it and how I can make it work but I got there in the end and it worked! I made many different games while I decided which one I was going to use for my final product. I am proud of my trivia game because unlike all my other ones I made this one I didn’t watch any videos on how to do it, I figured it out by myself! It took an along time but eventually I got it right and it was finally playable! I was very happy with my final product and I hope that you like it too!

This is my video game! Sorry you can’t actually play it, it wasn’t working so no one can play it but please enjoy the video!

RPReplay_Final1712709522

What I did well and what I didn’t

I think that in this project I had a very good understanding of things. I feel like I did a very good job at putting my knowledge and understanding of atoms into my video game(s) and I was very good at making the game and figuring out how to code on scratch. I think that now I have made a video game I will be able to make more! I really enjoyed using scratch and I think that is what I did well, I was very enthusiastic about using scratch so that meant I really put in the effort and made sure my video game was the best it can be.

One thing that I didn’t do very was taking to long to decide which of my video games I was going to use. In the future I need to think of a solid plan and maybe try not to think of a crazy game that would be to hard to make (thats what I did at the start.🤭) Next time I will make it better and now I that I know what I need to do I can improve on this for future projects and not just in science.

My Learning Plan

Before the start of winter break we were asked to make a learning plan which is basically things that you can grow on things that you are good at and things that you can get support in. One thing that I said I could grow on is not leaving my homework until the last minute and I think that now I have definitely improved on it because I always do my homework strait away when I get home or instead of leaving my homework to Sunday at night I do it on Saturday so I can get it out of the way. Another thing I said I can improve and grow on is not getting distracted by other things going on in class. I don’t want to be distracted by my friends when they are talking I need to do my work without all the distractions. I think that I have definitely improved on that as I now don’t listen to any distractions so I can get my work done and not have homework over the weekend or after school. I think that I have done a good job with improving all the things I put in the growth section of my learning plan and I am proud of myself for what I have accomplished.

Thank you!

Thank you so much for reading my mPOL and I hope you enjoyed listening to my PLP journey so far! I hope you will read all about by next mPOL (whenever that is!) I spent a lot of time on this so I hope that you didn’t find it boring and quit reading half way through!😂

Thank you!

The Age of Exploration!

The Driving Question

“How can we use storytelling to investigate what sparked global exploration and understand its impact?” Our latest humanities project was about the age of exploration. We learned about trade between countries as well as the fur trade between the Europeans and Indigenous.

The Age of Exploration

So what is the age of exploration? Let me explain…The age of exploration is a time where people from different nations discovered that they could trade with different countries around the world. A good thing about it is that people then discovered new technology like the Sextant, Cross staff, compass, astrolabe and a ship called the caravel. A consequence of that was that the Europeans created the fur trade where they would go to the indigenous lands and trade things like blankets, knives, and spices in exchange for beaver skins that they would use to make hats. This meant that the beaver population started to die off and there weren’t many beavers left in the wild. Luckily people started to set up beaver reserves and slowly the beaver populations started to grow again.

The Cause and Consequences of Exploration

we learned about things that were good about exploration and things that were bad and that didn’t work out like how even though they were getting gold and silver so they could sell it to other countries to make money, it started to drain the land of all those resources until there wasn’t much left. We had to make our boards on a website called padlet.

Story Mountain

After reading and learning about the age of exploration we had to make up a story based off of what we had learnt. We had to write about a cause and a consequence of exploration, that is why we made the padlet. We had to make a story mountain about our story’s and we had to separate it into sections like the “Climax and the Rising Action.” I wrote about the diseases that spread as a consequence and about how trading with other nations was the cause. I wrote about a girl named Lily who really wants to sail around the world and trade with other countries and nations, but everyone tells her she can’t because she’s a girl.

My Story

This story is kind of long so you don’t have to read it if you don’t want to but here it is:

There once was a girl named Lily she always wanted to go on voyages but girls weren’t allowed to everyone said that they had to stay home and cool and look after their husbands.

She would stare longingly at the waves looking at the glistening waves in the sunshine. Lily was very sad because she wasn’t allowed to trade so she spent day after day looking out at sea waiting for her adventure to start. 

She had always wanted to travel, she knew it was in her blood because her father was a famous European explorer who went on many voyages a year. He always brought things back for Lily from his voyages but Lily knew it wasn’t the same. She would tell people all around town about her ideas for new technology and new ships, but no one would listen to her and when they did they would give her all the reasons why she couldn’t do it.

Lily loved to talk about traveling and she loved to talk to people about her fathers voyages and how she would always want to explore with him and go with him to trade with the indigenous peoples. She would always ask her father about his voyages when he wasn’t busy and Lily always said she could taste the salt water on her tongue. The idea of going on a ship and exploring the world gives Lily shivers in her spine and not in a bad way but in a good way. 

One day Lily heard that her father was traveling to the indigenous land to trade with the indigenous peoples and so Lily snuck onto the ship and disguised as one of the curfew members. Lily knew that woman weren’t allowed to travel so she dressed up as a man so her father and his crew wouldn’t know. Lily had many ideas for new technology that could help explorers navigate their way around the ocean and she kept it all in her sketchbook. She had never shown any body her ideas and she had always wanted to show her father but she couldn’t, not yet, but she would one day.

One day Lily was working on the ship deck and she saw land! She shouted for her father to come and see and she didn’t realize how close she was to the side of the ship and she fell right in and her disguise came off and everyone realized that it was her. Her father was very mad but they had reached land and then her father was distracted by all the trading. Lily had a great time trading with all the indigenous and she traded them blankets for beaver skins.

After a couple days the indigenous started to come down with a strange disease and then many of them started to die. The indigenous started to blame the Europeans for spreading the disease through their blankets. Lily was very scared and she didn’t want to leave because she had had such a great time trading and she had made many new friends. 

Although Lily had one of the most greatest time of her life she felt guilty that the indigenous had all started to die and she blamed it all on herself. Her father told her not to worry and then she realized the time was right and she showed him all her ideas for new technology that could help explorers navigate their way around the ocean. Her father told her it was a great idea and he told all of Europe and the rest of the world and they started to create all her ideas. Lily realized that her dream had finally come through and everyone had started to respect her and let her explore the world and Lily became one of the most famous European explorers in the world.

AR MAKR

AR MAKR is an app we used to film our story’s. In this app you can film things like a normal camera but you don’t have to place real life objects on the ground on front of the camera like on the normal filing apps. In this app you can take photos from your library and place them on the ground. It will look like you are placing a real life object on the ground from the screen, but from the outside it looks like your filming the ground so it can look kind of funny!😂

Pirate Packs!

Because we were studying the age of exploration we got to have pirate packs from Whitespot on the second last day of school before the break! It was lots of fun and we played Kahoots on Pirates and Vikings. We also had a competition on who could assemble their pirate pack the quickest! I had lots of fun and I won the grand prize in the end, a massive chocolate coin!

I had a lot of fun in this project and I learnt so much about the age of exploration that I know I am going to remember for the rest of my life. I liked working with AR MAKR even if it was a little frustrating at times I still had fun learning about it and working with it. I am sure that I will use this app for many years to come and I can’t wait to make even more story’s with it! This has been one of my most favourites projects yet! I really enjoyed doing it and I even enjoyed the homework!😁

It’s Only The Start!

Destination Imagination!

After months of working on our pinball machine my team (Griffin, Milaina, Oliver, Cece and Maggie) finally were ready (not really😬) for the DI Regionals Tournament! I bet you’re wondering what Destination Imagination actually IS, well Destination Imagination or DI where schools or just people at home compete in different challenges to win. I was part of the technical team and our challenge was to make a pinball machine! Our pinball machine was 16 feet long and controlled by my teammate Oliver. Our team name is called “The Oversleepers” and we came 3rd! We have qualified for the regionals tournament which we will be showing our pinball machine again, but we will be able to make whatever changes we want to our pinball machine and script. I have done DI before when I was in grade 4 and we won! We won the instant challenge and the actual challenge and so I had some experience going into the competition.

Our Challenge

Our challenge was to make a life size pinball machine that a size 3 soccer ball can go through. We were given a 16 feet by 8 feet playing field for our pinball machine to be displayed in. We had to create a story to go with it and ours was based off Alice in Wonderland.

Preparation

Prior to the competition we worked very hard for several weeks creating and building the pinball machine. We worked very hard and built things in Cece’s dad’s workshop and at school. We all decided what characters we were going to be, I was the Queen of Hearts, Oliver was Tweedle Dum, Griffin was Tweedle Dee, Milaina was The Mad Hatter, and Cece was Alice. We worked hard creating and rehearsing our script until we had it memorized fully.

The Competition

On the day of the tournament we had to be at school at 8:30. Our presentation was the first one out all the groups not just ours so it was very nerve wracking being the first group to go! It was pretty good we just need to get more materials to make it better. The presentation had to be 8 minutes and in that time we had to set up our pinball machine and present our whole script.

The Forms

Like anything in life we had to fill out a bunch of forms that asked questions about our machine and what we would be showing. Since we were in the technical challenge we had the most forms to fill out (actually engineering had the same amount🤭.) I was in charge of writing all the main information down, but there were also other forms like the expense report and more.  There were 3 pages in the main forms but each one had many questions to fill out.

Rose🌹, Bud🌷, and Thorns🥀

ROSE= Things we did well on

I think that my group did a really good job at communicating and working together. We also did really well on going first because it’s not easy because we had to set the bar and that was really scary! Our team did a good job not giving up even when a round of our pinball machine didn’t work we kept going and didn’t let it crush our courage.

BUD= Things we can improve on

Somethings we can improve on is getting together to work on our pinball machine more often. Everyone is very busy all the time but I feel that we need to skip somethings so we can get together more often and I think that could of made our pinball machine better.

THORN= Things we didn’t do well and things we can do better

I think we can defiantly do better at making our pinball machine out of wood and not just making half of it out of cardboard. Cardboard is very flimsy so it didn’t really work for our pinball machine so we defiantly need to make it out of wood next time.

I hope we can learn from our mistakes and do better next time but I am proud of what we did do well and we need to bring that confidence to the next competition!

The instant Challenge

I can’t actually say anything about the Instant challenge until June because it is top secret!🤫 When this is all over in June I will be able to share so make sure you’re checking my blog for my next post about our DI update!

I have learned so much from DI and I am very happy at what we have achieved and I hope that we will do even better in the provincials and I hope that I can continue working with my group over spring break so we can make our pinball machine even better than before! Even though the first competition was very stressful I really enjoyed it and I am really excited for provincials and I hope that we can do our best! 😁

Wish us luck in Provincials!🥳

Having fun with Atoms!

Our First Science Project!

For our first science project we learned about Atoms! We did many worksheets such as “States of Matter” and “Split Screen Protocol” where we learned about when people discovered the atom and how people discovered what it looked like.

Black box

We did an activity called “the black box” in this activity we were given a small container that was covered with black tape so we couldn’t see inside, we were also not allowed to open the lid. We were given a bunch of materials and then we had to recreate what we thought was in the black box by using are senses to guess what was inside.

How can we communicate our knowledge of atoms in a fun and creative way?

As we went further into learning about atoms our first project was introduced…We had to make a video game!!!😁 This sounded super cool to me and I had lots of ideas for my video game! We had to make our video games about what we had learnt about the atom. The website we used to make our video game is called scratch. Scratch is a website where you can make games and it’s all about coding! When I first opened it I had no idea what to do but now that I have made a game (I made multiple because I couldn’t decide on what to do!) I now know so many things that can help me in the future. I made a trivia game that makes you answer questions on the atom! To check it out click here

Overall I think I did a good job on this project, I really liked how we had to make a video game to showcase our knowledge it made the project so much more fun! I now know many things about atoms and I know how to determine the volume of things and I am now very good at using my senses to determine what is inside objects. I really enjoyed this project and I hope that we can do something like this again!

Poetry’s Not Easy!

Our last project of the semester!

The topic for our last project of the semester was….Poems! To be honest I didn’t really wanna do a project on poems because I’m kinda bad at it.😅 I actually really enjoyed this project though as we started writing all our poems.

The Driving Question

Our driving question for this project was “How might I write Poetry that I Enjoy and shows who I am?” We wrote all types of poetry and throughout each one I think I displayed who I am in my poetry. I could just be myself when I was writing and just write about who I was, write about me. I enjoyed writing poetry about my life but sometimes it’s hard putting what you feel out into the world.

So what Poems DID you write?

we wrote all types of poems and learnt about all types of Poetry terms to put into out poems.

Here are the poems we wrote:

– Simile Poem

– Extended Metaphor Poem

– Sound Poem

– Haikus

– Found Poem (My least favourite)

– Experience Poem

– Imagery Poem

– Self-Portrait Poem

Our Ebooks

As our last final part of the project and the biggest things we had to do was make an Ebook. We had to make the Ebook on an app called Book Creator. We had to add all the poems we had made into it and design it. We had to publish our Poetry books onto their website so people can read it.

Here is my book:

Reflection:

After all the poems we had to write I think I got better at writing them!😁 I enjoyed writing all those poems and being able to express myself through them. I think that this was a fun project and I am proud of all the poems I wrote and I didn’t know there were so many types of poems and that’s not even all of them! The funniest one was the sound poem because we could just write a bunch of random words that described the sound of our worldview. I hope that I take all the poetry information into life because who knows? Maybe one day I’ll become a poet and people all around the world will get to read my poems!

Radical Innovations or How its Going

The Winter Exhibition!

I am in grade 8 so I had my first Exhibition recently! For this year us grade 8’s had to make a tableau. I had lots of fun at the exhibition, although it was kinda stressful and tiring I am still happy I got the chance to do it. I had six members in my group (Julia, Sven, Samuel, Carmyn, Sawyer) and we all worked together to make our scenes. We had to make a triptych with three photos of our groups tableau. We made the triptych on an app called SuperimposeX.

What is a Triptych?

a triptych is a peace of art that is often displayed in churches. Is set on an alter and has three pieces of art on display. Even though the art is different in each frame the landscape in the back is often continued throughout the art. Here is our groups triptych:

Medieval

We had to have these elements: Geography, time, society, values, beliefs, economy, and knowledge. For Geography we did a horse, because people used to travel on horses to discover new pieces of land and to just travel to other places. For time we made a sundial which is behind us in the photo. People in the medieval times used to use sundials to tell the time.

For society we did the king because he was a big part in the society. For values we did a leader because they were valued in their kingdoms. People also followed their kings and leaders into battles. For beliefs we did a cross because the king was Christian and so was his people. For economy we did expensive fabrics which the king was wearing because he was the leader. And finally for knowledge we did a map because a map held knowledge of the land and told people where to go.

Renaissance

For the Renaissance scene we had to do the same elements: Geography, time, society, values, beliefs, economy, and knowledge. For Geography we did a horse because they were used for traveling long distances. For time we did a clock because it was the only way to tell the time back then. For society we did the king because he was the leader and the society respected him as their leader. For values we did food which is the wagon because people valued their food much more back then. For beliefs we made a bible and the person is reading the bible in the back. For economy we did the wagon because it shows how merchants would transport their food and sell it to people. And lastly we showcased knowledge with the painter because being a painter means you have to be knowledgeable.

Contemporary

For Contemporary we used the same elements as the last two scenes. Geography, time, society, values, beliefs, economy, and knowledge. For geography we did the food truck because people use wagons as transport but they were also used as a wagon for food. For time we made a clock, we used the same clock as the Renaissance scene and because we now have advanced clocks. For society we did the voting box because people in the society have the right to vote over 18. For values we did technology because now everyone now values their tech more than anything else. For beliefs we did even though you can’t see it everyone is welcome from all religions. For economy we did me ordering food on a  phone because people nowadays use there phones way more and don’t communicate with other people as much.

Our snack

For the exhibition we had to make a snack that we shared with the audience who came to watch. We made cookies that we called “snowball cookies.” They we’re really good!

Renaissance artwork

Just like in our past project we had to make a piece of art displaying our face! We did I the same thing in our medieval part of the project but this time we did renaissance. We had to make an artwork choice chart again like we did last time and find photos that represent the questions.

Renaissance art paragraph

What can we learn from the past and how does it matter to us today? 

The past matters to us today because by using it to understand our worldview we further see we have more rights and freedom. 

Knowledge- Since they created the printing press we now have printer that can print as many copy’s of a book as they want. I can now read lots of books because we have printers and they have greatly benefited our lives because we can have books on education that is taught in schools. If the printing press hadn’t been invented we wouldn’t have all the knowledge we have today and we wouldn’t be able to read all these great books that we have today because of the printing press. We now have all this freedom and are able to write books so they can be printed and published. We have all these opportunities now because of the printing press.

Time- Time in the Renaissance was very similar to what we have now. They had devolved a clock that looks very much like the ones we have now. If the Medieval times hadn’t created the sundial then the Renaissance wouldn’t have created the clocks and we wouldn’t have made the, better so they can be what we have now. I wouldn’t know what time it is and what time to go to school or my activities. I am grateful that people have created the clocks because it has been a great use in my everyday life. We have freedom now because we know what time it is and when we can be free to go hang out with your friends at the mall and things.

Society- The society in the Renaissance was ruled by three Country’s. England, France, and Spain. They had a great leader in England who was known as King Henry the VIII. He was a great but brutal leader of England having killed many of his wives and being rude and being terrible to them. We woman now have much more freedom and are not abused by men and have our own rights so we can vote and speak in our society’s. The society from the renaissance was much different from now. The woman didn’t have rights and we ruled with other country’s by our sides which was good in a good way.

In conclusion we have way more rights and freedom and have advanced in many ways from the past. We have many things now that people were not so fortunate to have back then. I am so grateful for our lives today and have been greatly benefited with all that has happened from the past. 

in conclusion I think that this project was pretty fun! I liked to learn about the Renaissance and Medieval times! I think that me and my group did a great job for our first exhibition and I am proud of the work that we have accomplished. I am excited for us to have our next exhibition and to hopefully improve because of what I have learned this time.😁

You Got to draw all week?!

Last week in Maker

Last week we had a really fun time in maker! All week we were learning about sketches pro and learning how to use the pens. I learnt so much last week and I love to draw on my iPad so it was so cool to do it for a whole week in maker. Over the week we made 4 pieces of art but we had a pro-d day on Monday so we weren’t at school to do art. I can’t wait to make more fun pieces of art on Sketches Pro in the future.

Testing the Tools

Before we stared any of the drawing on Monday we had to use and get to know the tools. We had to draw 6 boxes and use a different tool in each square. I liked using all the different Tools and learning to use them.

Our Word Art

Also on Tuesday we made word art! We had to make a piece of art where we had to choose a word or we could use our names and draw it on Sketches Pro and make a design. I learnt how to use the blend brush and how to use the water colour brush to make a cool water colour design. I learned how to make new layers so I wouldn’t blend all of the art and ruin it so I made a new layer so I could blend the thing I wanted.

Robot and 3D cube

On Wednesday we were asked to make a 3D cube and add shading to it. I had never done any drawing on sketches pro let alone done shading on an iPad. I have done shading before on paper so it was kind of hard to do shading on the cube. I’m warning you it doesn’t look the best but I tried. We also had to make a robot by tracing the shape or using the ruler. I liked this one and I think I got better at shading things because now it looks better. I had to make some revisions on the cube because I got some feedback and they told me what could be better.

Our Emojis

On Thursday we had to draw an emoji. We found on image and were asked to draw it. I decided to use my favourite emoji which is the star eyes🤩. I really like this emoji because I think it looks cool and I like the how the eyes are stars. I am proud of my emoji I got even better at shading and I am very proud of the way the whole thing turned out. The stars a a little wonky because I didn’t realize there was a star tracer until my friend told me after I had finished.

Our Logos

On Friday our last day of the week we had to make a logo for a brand we thought of. I really liked drawing and designing the logo and the sheep doesn’t really have any thing to do with the cereal but it was cute so I drew it. My brand was about cereal. It’s an app where you can order any shape of cereal you want. You can also customize the cereal box too! I chose this as my brand because I thought that it would be cool to have custom cereal!

Reflection

I really enjoyed the weak inn maker we had. I really like to draw and I really tried my hardest to make my drawings look good. I think that I have done a good job on everything. One thing that I am most proudest of is the emoji. I think that I did a pretty good job on it and it is the thing that I think I worked hardest on. Don’t worry i worked hard on all my artwork i just spent more time on my emoji. I hope that you enjoyed my blog as much as I enjoyed working about it!😁

We learned about the Medieval Times!

The Driving Question

For every project we have a driving question, a question that we can come back to through out the project. For this project our driving question is: “What can we learn from the past and why does it matter to us today?” So yes, we had to learn about the Medieval Times!

Book of the Lion

Like our last project we had to read a book again. This time the book was called “The Book of the Lion.” The book was okay but it wasn’t my favourite in the world I preferred “The Outsiders.” You can check out my blog post to that by clicking here! Like the Outsiders we had to again do role sheets. This time there were only 3 not 4. We had to fill out the role sheets every week and then meet with our discussion groups to present our work.

Art Work Choice Chart

As part of this project we had to make an art work choice chart. There were a bunch of categories that we had to fill out and each of them were different but we had to but a picture of something that best suits the box. There were 7 slides that we had to fill out and the first one that we did we had to put a picture of a medieval painted person. The choice chart was okay to do, once you got into it it got easier and then it was fine.

Sketch and Tell

We were given a template to draw what we thought it meant for societies to gain and lose power. We were each given a partner so we could present it to them when we had finished. After we had shown our drawing we had to write a paragraph explaining the drawing and how it connects to yourself. It was fun to draw our ideas on societies gaining and losing power, but I was not the biggest fan of writing the paragraph, but it was fine in the end!

Leader Tribute

We had to do a leader tribute on someone from the Medieval Times. I wasn’t there for it but the group I was put in when I was back at school were kind enough to give me a part even though I wasn’t there for it. The group I was in did a sketch to display to the class along with some facts and things about the leader.

Our Art Work

The main thing I would say is the art work. The art work was fun to make because we got to use the photos from our art work choice chart and put and make a piece of art from it. We had to put our faces on a medieval person and we did it on an app called “SuperimposeX” I liked using that app because it was fun to be able to make ourselves into medieval art. I am proud of my art because I think that I put a lot of effort into making it and I am proud of the art that I have made.

So yeah that is what my result was! It looks a little…funny, but I don’t mind it and it was the best one I had made.

As part of the art work we had to write a paragraph on it explaining the art that we have made.

Paragraph Explaining my Art!

Today we have been asked to write about our medieval art work that we have made. For this project our driving question is “What can we learn from the past and why does that matter to us today?” So we have been asked to make a piece of art starring us! 

This medieval art work shows how our worldview has changed from the medieval times and how it displays how different their worldview is from ours. This is important to me because of the opportunities we now have today from what has happened back then and what they have done. I have put in a clock in my art work because of the way they told time back in the medieval period. They had to use a thing called a sundial that cast a shadow on a stone plate depending on where the sun was in the sky. This was important to me because if they hadn’t created the sun dial we wouldn’t have a clock and it makes me feel grateful for what they have done so we can live an easier life today. I have put a crown in my art because they used to have kings and queens just like we do now. It is important to me because we have kept that from the past and it means that our world is not so different from theirs. I wanted to put a group of people to display society in the medieval times. People in the medieval period were born into their groups. Some children were born to knights or merchants and some people were born to slaves or pheasants. They couldn’t just change who they were and they had to grow up like that. It is important to me because of what we now have because of what they have done for us. Woman didn’t really get education and it was sad that no one really got any education so we are lucky to have education based on what they have done for us since then. The book displays how grateful I am for the education we now have today because I know that people in the Middle Ages were not so fortunate. They didn’t get amazing education that we have today, education that helps shape our worldview. We are learning about them now because of what they have done. They are teaching us things about the medieval times now and what has happened back then. They are teaching us about what they did, their history and much more. All of these aspects are important to me because it has helped shape my worldview. Whatever was accomplished in the medieval period has helped shape my worldview. We now have digital clocks because of what they have accomplished back then. I am grateful for all that they have done to and have taught me over these last couple weeks. How much we have learned about them and how we have been able to learn about the Middle Ages.

Reflection

Overall in this project I learned A LOT about the medieval times and their worldview. I learned about their worldview by reading the “Book of the Lion” and all the other activities we did. This project was pretty fun! It was fun because we got to learn about the medieval times and make art, I really like to make art and doing it on an iPad was really fun because I have never done it before! I learned even more about others worldview and my worldview and have come to understand it even more then I did before. I have learned so much from the past and I learned about things that we still have today like clocks! Well back then they had sundials but they had the same concept except that they used the sun that casted shadow that shined on the right time of day. Even though things were slightly different we wouldn’t be as far as making clocks if they hadn’t thought of the sundial. I have to say that this was a fun project and I am glad that we got to do it because I enjoyed learning about the past and doing all the work to create our end result!

Thanks for reading my blog about our latest project on the medieval times! I hope you enjoyed it and I hope you read my next post!👍😁

How can a text help me understand myself as my worldview is changing?

What is the project?

This project was called “Its the end of the World as we know it” in this project we had to read a book called  “ The Outsiders.” This book was okay but I don’t think I would have  read it if I had the choice. This book gave me a lot of information about worldview. I compared my worldview to the Outsiders worldview. We had 4 weeks to read the whole book and every Thursday we met with our discussion groups to talk about the chapters we had read and the role sheets we had to do on the section of reading. The role sheets were sheets that we had to fill out based on what your role was that week. There were 4 sheets but we only did 3 of them over the 3 weeks we were reading the book. We each did a role sheet and we switched between them every week so we all did a different one each time. When the book was finished we did the 4th one but every one was meant to do the same one so then we could each present it to our groups. After we had finished reading the book we watched the movie and had to make Venn diagrams while we were doing so. We were introduced to the main part. We had to make write a song with with the background music of  “It’s the End of the World as we Know it” by REM. We had to write lyrics to the music about worldview and we had to use our notes that we had made to do it. We recorded our song and then had to make an iMovie. We had to get photos from when we were younger and now. We put all our photos together to make a slideshow and then we put it on our YouTube channels.

The Driving Question

The driving question for this project was “How can a text help me understand myself as my worldview is changing?” This project was all about worldview and how we can understand our worldview and others. The outsiders were to help us understand our worldview by comparing it to theirs. They lived in a rough place and fought each other, they killed each other in self defence. This all related back to the driving question and understanding our worldview. We had to make a MindNode on our worldview and put things in it about ourselves and what is part of our worldview. 

YouTube Video

We had to set up a YouTube channel to put our “Becoming a PLP Learner” video in (which was our maker project.) We also had to put our song on it so if you would like to watch it then you can right here! I think that we did a good job with the video and the way we set up our slideshow.

What I did well

I think in this project I did well by staying focused and trying my hardest to make my work the best it can be. The lyrics were hard to write and it was a very fast song so it was pretty hard to sing, but I think that I did a good job. The lyrics were hard to write because you had to get them perfect and make sure that its in time with the music. Overall I think that me and my group members (Brooklyn and Kiera) did a pretty good job on this project and I am proud of what we have managed to do.

Reflection 

I think that overall I did a good job on this project with my group members. I now understand what worldview is (kind of). I didn’t really like this project at first but as we got into it more and more I started to really enjoy it and have fun! I am happy with the work I put into this and am happy with what I have done. The book was ok and the movie was short but I learned a lot from it about understanding my worldview by understanding the Outsiders worldview. I am proud of the work I put into this and I think that me and my group members did a good job on this project. The singing part was hard because the song is so fast. Writing the lyrics were even harder because you had to make sure it that is exactly in time with the music so when we sing it it is exactly in time with the music.

Becoming a PLP Learner

Becoming a PLP Learner

This is my first ever maker project in PLP!  I have worked hard to reach the expectation of the project and have tried my best to make it the best it can be. In this project we learned how to use keynote. We learned things like colour fill, image fill, animating shapes and much more! We designed Nike shoes, drew on pumpkins, made Memojis and made fidgets. I feel as if I have learnt a lot from this project especially since I am new to the PLP community and constantly learning new things. I worked hard over the time span of 2 weeks to complete my keynote. 

My Memoji:

I made my Memoji to resemble me. We used the laptop picture so we could add stickers to the front that meant things to us. I put lots of stickers on it and my favourite would be North Shore Dolphins Dive Club sticker. That sticker is my favourite because my favourite sport is diving. I am very proud of my Memoji because I worked hard on the animations and am happy with the result. I am very proud that I have put cool animations that I am proud of. One thing I could have done better is putting the animations in order.

My I Am Doodle:

I did my I Am doodle on my favourite diving. It is my favourite sport because I like to be on the diving board and fall through the air and do different and difficult dives. I am proud that I can share my love of diving. I think I couldn’t done better drawings but I am happy with it and happy to share it.

My I Am WordPack:

In My I Am WordPack I have put word in it that mean a lot to me. I am lots of things to myself and to other people. I used an app called WordPack to create this.  One thing I could have done better is used different colours so it stands out more and is easier to read. One thing I proud of is all the descriptions of myself I put into my WordPack. I am happy with is am excited to make another one in the future.

My User Manuel:

I am proud of my user manuel because it tells people about me. I wrote on a template in pages to create it. My user manuel tells people all about me. I am most proud of my 3 settings. Setting #1: student, setting #2: regular person and setting #3 Sports lover. Something I am happy with is the words I put into it. One things I could have done better is putting a little more words into it and putting more things that are about me into it. Here is a link to it.

About Me

THANK YOU!

Thanks for reading all about my latest project I was happy to share all about it! I am proud of my presentation because I know I have worked hard in this project and have answered the driving question Who am I as a PLP learner? Well I am a creative, smart, determined, fun, happy, excited, keen, interested and enthusiastic PLP learner. I hope to in the future continue working my hardest and do lots more projects that I am proud of.