Finances and the End of Year Exhibition

I just finished my last ever PLP exhibition. As I’m leaving PLP next year and attending mainstream classes, this was sadly my last and final exhibition. This blog post will be one of my final PLP blog posts, so let’s start. This post will be a double blog post about our most recent PGP (Careers project) and our exhibition experience/what we presented.
The first thing we did was a simulation game called The Uber Game. The Uber Game is short, where you play as an Uber driver and make choices to make enough money to pay your mortgage (1000$). I was honestly surprised by how little money Uber and other gigs make, I tried multiple times to beat the game, and even when I made sacrifices, I always fell short by at least 100$

Our next task was to start keeping tabs on our expenses. We delved into the differences between fixed and variable costs, diligently tracking monthly spending. It was surprising to find out that I was earning more than I had spent and that I didn’t have to make many changes to my financial situation right now. Nevertheless, this assignment turned out to be incredibly helpful. We also began planning for future expenses such as tuition, rent, groceries, and cell phone bills, ensuring we had a clear picture of what lay ahead. After learning about spending and saving, we learnt about income, so gross income and net income; I had math in my first semester, so I found that I already knew a little about these, so it was pretty easy to catch on
The next topic we worked on was financial literacy. I was on a trip for half of this, so I only did the first part. We took a quiz to see if we were financially literate, and it said I’m on the right track
Our next assignment was more of a long-term assignment, and it was a stock simulation challenge. We started by downloading this buggy stock simulation app and got familiar with how the app and the stock market work. Mr. Harris then challenged us: the person who made the most money would win a $25 gift card, and the most ethical investor would win $10. Sadly my stock app never worked; I tried everything, uninstalling it and trying it on different devices for some reason, but it never worked. One of my first run-throughs focused on various stocks, including popular brand names, tech companies, renewable energy, nuclear energy, banking companies, and investment firms. I decided to explore so many types of companies, so I would be pretty safe and secure as surely every single one of these companies couldn’t go down. I would be making a slow and steady profit, but I don’t think this was a good idea for the situation since we only had a month. On my second run, I focused on what could make me the most possible money in a month. I researched high-yield high, return investments and found that investing in real estate, capital corporate and investment firms.

At the annual PLP Spring Exhibition, we showcased our comprehensive understanding of finance. As part of our Maker class, we embarked on an exciting project of creating a podcast series. To leverage our newly acquired podcasting skills, we ingeniously integrated them with our expertise in designing business cards. This resulted in the creation of captivating business cards specifically tailored for our podcasts. Additionally, we transformed the main PLP room into a professional office setting, perfectly aligning with our theme and creating an immersive experience for visitors. Me and Colton dressed up very professional with 2 piece suits, timepieces and Cartier glasses.