Advertising

For the first project of the year we studied advertising and the different kinds of ads and the best way to make an ad.

One of the first things they showed us was the media triangle which was labeled on each side, text on one side, production and audience on the other sides. On the text side it was about what it said and how it looked. On the production side it was about who owned it and if it was copying anything. On the audience side it was about what the audience thought.

Then we talked about the demographics of who you are trying to advertise to. Demographics are the attributes of who you are advertising to, like their age, where their from, their culture and race. We learned that all of these things go into the making of an ad.

Canva and pages

I used Canva and pages to create my ads.

We then also learned about advertising techniques and appeals. Advertising techniques are techniques that ads use to gain interest from the customers for example: testimonial is where the ad uses a celebrity or an authority to speak on the products behalf. Advertising appeals are something the customer wants that the product can give them for example: reassurance of worth is the need to feel valued and respected.

I think the most important things we learned were about colour and Pathos, Logos, Ethos. What we learned about colour was that different colours imply different things as you can see in the picture below. We also learned that men and women like different colours, for example women love blue, purple and green the best but they hate orange, brown and grey. Men love blue, green and black the best and hate brown,orange and purple the most. Pathos, logos and ethos are techniques that an ad uses to attract people. If an ad is using pathos it means that it is invoking emotions. If an ad is using logos it means you think it’s logical and makes sense. If an ad is using ethos it is making you think its ethical and invokes your sense of right or wrong. Usual a good ad will use at least two of these.

The first ads we made were a practice for the ads we were going to make in Oregon. The ads we made were for a local business. My group which consisted of Niklas, Kiera, Gabby and me. We chose beautifulEyes Optometry. We did some research then we went to interview them about what they wanted us to make the ad about and what they wanted in the ad. Once we had that information we made our first draft of the ad.

My first ad draft

We showed our class our ads and we got critiqued on them. The biggest thing that everyone said was that they couldn’t understand what it was about. I didn’t really know much about the product either so our teacher suggested we add the website as one of the main things so that if people wanted to know more about it they could go to the website. The other major thing was we had to take our own pictures.

Critiqued ad

Revised ad

For the ads we were doing for a business in Oregon we were assigned Marine Discovery Tours which was a boat tour that was very educational. We researched them before we came and made an ad.

First ad draft for Oregon

When we arrived in Oregon and went on the boat cruise we interviewed the employees and they told us what they wanted. We also showed them our ads we had already done. The big thing they said was that they wanted more of a marine element in the photo, so on the second draft I used a photo I took on the boat.

Revised ad

Learning about ads has been really cool and I’ve learned so much. I think I’ve learned so much more than I would have anywhere else. This is also just our first project so I’m so excited to learn so much more.

2 Responses

1. Margaret illingworth at |

Your blog is really fun to follow and see what you are learning. Keep them coming. Great to see more of your great photography.

Reply
  2. graceb at |

Good job nice colour chart

Reply