💭 tPOL 2023

Welcome!

It’s tPOL time of year again. In this post I will be writing about my growth as a learner so far this year. I will then be presenting this post to my parents and a teacher in what we in PLP call a tPOL – Transitional Presentation of Learning – while I talk about my growth as a leaner and the driving question:

Why do you feel you are ready to advance to the next grade level?

• Introductions

• • • 

tPOL Declaration

“Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.”

• • • 

What I’ll Cover

• My growth as a learner this year
  • Why I think I’m ready to advance to grade 11

• • • 

Core Competencies

• Will be taking about these core competencies a lot during this presentation

• • • 

Humanities

• I’ve reached my goal of 🌈 → exceeded goal to reach 💪

🏙️ Vancouver: A super natural place to go? | Vancouver Tourism

• Able to work really well together to create this video about Vancouver Tourism which required a lot of team work because we were largely on our own as a result of the teachers being away on the Florida trip

🪖 Footprints in the Sand | WWII

• Had to create a persuasive essay about the importance of preserving the Juno Beach Centre
  • This was a really good way to practice the “communicating” core competency because I had to use strategies such as pathos (emotion) and logos (logic) to effectively communicate with my audience to argue my point

• Personal Awareness and Responsibility
    • Really proud of how I’ve been able to take a step back and spend much less time on school work while still producing high quality work. 
    • This enabled me to spend a lot more time with friends, which in turn made me a lot happier.
    • I also found that by planning to hang out with friends, I was much more efficient at getting work done because if I finished the work I would have something fun to look forward to.
      • Example of this is the “Lies and Incongruencies” project in which we had a lot of mini-essays to write. I wrote most of them really fast but was still able to produce sophisticated work.

• • • 

Maker

Podcasting

• Required really good communication skills to captivate an audience entirely with my voice
  • I think I still have a lot I can improve on, as my speech tends to be very monotone when reading off a script

• I can improve this by focusing on using emphasis and also finding was to make what I’m talking about more entertaining by incorporating comedy or irony.
  • I think I also could have used more storytelling devices such as sound effects to captive the audience

• Also showed competency “Social awareness and responsibility” since I was advocating for the natural world and the seycove community on the subject of climate change
    • Hope is to make a difference by people being inspired by my podcast and doing more to be climate friendly

• • • 

PGP

• I’ve met my goal of 🌈

Exhibition

• We had to use “creative thinking” to think up a cool room theme (we decided on an office theme) and how best to decorate the room.
  • We also had to “communicate” what we’d been working on for our podcasts, resumes, stocks and business cards to exhibition visitors

Stocks Simulator

• required me to use “critical and reflective thinking” as I had to decide when to buy and sell stocks.
  • I then had to reflect upon my choices so I could learn from any mistakes to prevent them in the future.
    • Discovered I should probably learn a lot more about stocks before I invest any real money…

⚖️ Creating Opportunities from Balance

• We watched this ted talk about 100 times, and it really stuck with me because the steps are so simple and can make a huge impact on my happiness.
  • Recently I haven’t been making as much time for this brain training so one of my goals for this summer and next year will be to focus on this more
  • Shows core competency “personal awareness and responsibility”

🧗🏻 Loon Lake Leadership Retreat

• Work on competency “Positive personal and cultural identity”
  • We did some activities centred values such as our personal credo

• • • 

Disposition, Habits & Systems

• These are all working great for me, and I plan to continue with them next year
  • If you have anything you think I should add let me know during the question period at the end of this presentation

• • • 

Goals for Next Year

PS: Incorporate positive brain training back into my daily routine, continue to make time for friends by spending only as much time as needed on assignments, remembering to take screen breaks every 20 minutes by using the shortcut I added to my Home Screen

T: This one is stolen from my mPOL because I didn’t really do this: participate more in class discussions by answering/asking questions, etc.

C: Continue to be a leader within PLP, Communicate my thoughts and values to an audience as well as with classmates and teachers

• • • 

• I believe that all of what I’ve spoken about today from taking time for friends and family while still producing high quality work to identifying areas for continued growth, is evidence that I am ready to move up to the next grade level 🙂

Thank you!

Any questions?