How did I persist and manage my impulsivity in the Alberta Field study?

For starters, I’m going to be completely honest. Alberta was not a vacation. The trip was planned for purely work-related things. This was extremely tough at times but I feel I managed well. 

By definition, impulsivity is doing and action with little forethought. Or doing something “on a whim.”

On my Alberta field trip, I was given many assignments. One of them being my ghost town video. I was in a group with Anders, Ally, and Rhiannh. The setting of our movie was an old Ghost town. For the assignment, we were supposed to make a video-based around our setting (The ghost town.) At first glance, my group’s impulse was to go scout out the area and have fun looking at all the manakins and such. With a helpful comment from Ms. Maxwell letting us know how much time we had to make the video we realized that looking around wasn’t the main priority. We needed to ignore our impulsivity and work on the project at hand. We met up and questioned our priorities to manage time more efficiently and thought our whole video out before immediately starting to film. In the end, this was very beneficial to our video as it made it more organized and it followed the story spine thoroughly.

Another time where I had to manage my impulsivity was at the Royal Tyrell Museum. Upon arrival, we were given time to explore the Museum. The people I was with thought this was a little suspicious as there wasn’t an assignment actually assigned and in the Agenda, it said “TBA.” We came to the conclusion that there was going to be an assignment assigned after we had finished looking around. With this in mind, we decided to gather as much information as possible from every exhibit so we were well informed of this surprise assignment. We managed our impulsivity to look around and have fun so we could focus and be prepared for our upcoming task. Sure enough, there was a surprise video assignment. And because we explored the whole museum and gathered information Fin and I was able to make a quick transition into filming a video in our favourite exhibit. The consequence of us being focused led to better time management and a more efficient filming session in a short period of time we had to record the video. Fin and I realized that if we had fooled around in our “free roam” time at the Museum then we would have not only been distracting ourselves but also others trying to get there work down.

At the beaker-head light festival, we were able to let loose a little. After managing our impulsivity to gather data for our Tourist video Kaden and I were able to let loose and have some fun. We visited some spectacles and had a great time talking to the astronauts walking around in full character. This is a great example of us managing our impulsivity to finish our project and then being able to have some fun. During the festival, we strategized to get our work done first so we could have some free roam time at the end.

When we were eating at Red Lobster we had a great time. During this time we all had a competition of who could have the most shrimp. We all got very excited during this competition and we were very loud. We were a large group of 14-year-olds who were together. Us being loud was bound to happen. This happened because we were way to impulsive, and unable to manage it. We were unaware of our surroundings. Next time, we should try and settle each other down and try to think before making decisions, therefore we can have a great time while respecting others around us.

Daily Note was an assignment ted on throughout the Alberta trip. Each day we were given a prompt to write about. The prompt varied each day. When we were given time to write about the daily prompt we had to think quite a bit. The questions were deep thinking questions. During this time we had to manage the impulsivity to talk to our friends, or play games on our IPads so we could focus on writing an answer. Because, if we didn’t we would forget the question, or our answer to our question and not have anything to answer it within the following days. During these writing periods, we literally had to put everything aside and just write. Honestly, these writing periods were very relaxing. I felt like I could just open up and it felt almost like meditation. It was very calming

All in all I believe I was able to manage my impulsivity very well during my Alberta field Study. This helped me extremely with my organization skills.