Rules by Cynthia lord.

Rules was given to me by my librarian at my elementary school. She gave it to me during the first times of Covid-19 just when classes were starting up again. She gave me a couple books but rules caught my attention.this is going to be kind of like me explaining the book. Oh right, just a warning if you haven’t read the book and you are or your going to there’s going to be spoilers in this so ⚠️SPOILER ALERTS⚠️.

Rules by Cynthia lord

In the starting of the book it explains about Catherine, a 12-year-old girl with a brother that has  autism. The book takes place in the summer and theres a girl the same age as Catherine moving in next door. To help her brother with social  situations she makes a set of rules to remind him not to do things to help him like don’t take your pants off in public or no toys in the fish tank. David, her brother, goes to occupational therapy or OT. Here is a video explaining how an OT can help kids!

the story goes on to explain how at the OT’s Catherine usually likes to draw so starts to draw a a boy in a wheelchair in the waiting room near her. Jason the, boys name, is unable to walk or talk so he points to cards with different expressions and word to communicate. 

A little later in the book Catherine makes more cards for him saying more expressive words or him to use. 

After a while they became friends but she doesn’t want her new friend Kristi, the girl next door, to know she’s friends with him.

Throughout the book theres a community dance coming up and in the end she invites Jason to come with her to the dance because she realizes that her true friend is Jason and she doesn’t care what other people think. I did skip allot so here is a Wikipedia page explaining the book. This was a really good book for me and even though I’ve basically explained it I hope you read it to find your own view on it and if you like this book here is some more books by Cynthia lord!

See you next time.