Blue sky

Now that the year is coming to the end we get one final shot to wrap up the year with are best project yet. Our final project in our maker class is called Blue Sky! We had one month to create these projects and present them in our exhibition.

You might remember my winter exhibition which you can see here.

This year for Blue Sky we followed the LAUNCH cycle.

L: look, listen, learn

A: ask tons of questions

U: understand the process or proble,

N: navigate ideas

C: create a prototype

H: highlight and fix

Once you complete these steps you are ready to LAUNCH to an audience which we did at our exhibition.

As you can see this is a lot of work to do in a month so let’s see how it goes.

Instead of fixing a small problem in our life’s we look deeper into how we could fix bigger problems. When we were at BCTECH summit one of the presenters Brent Bushnell talk about how his start up fit in with the UN Sustainable Development Goals.

These set of goals were adopted by countries on September 25th 2015, to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all as part of a new sustainable development agenda. Each goal has specific targets to be achieved over the next 15 years. These goals can only be accomplished if everyone does there part.

We first got put in groups based on our top choices of these goals to do our project on. My group for Responsible Consumption and Production was Claire, Sofia, and Izzy. We all were interested in this topic because we wanted to help our environment by reducing waste in big companies.

As a group our fist idea was to reduce plastic waste. We each had different ideas how we were going to do reduce plastic at a restaurant or café in our area. I wrote down a first draft of my project pitch.

Blue ski first draft

after getting feedback on our idea we created another more detailed project pitch that our teacher approved.

Blue Sky Design Project Pitch

Once we were excepted we could work on our first prototype. For this prototype I drew a photo.

At first we tried to reach out to local restaurants such as Blue House Café and Local Lift.

Both places didn’t want to implement our idea so we decided to focus on problems in our cafeteria.

After observing and talking to people around the school such as our janitor we discovered at Seycove we had a great problem with recycling. Claire and I teamed up to focus on the multiple waste cans and Sofia and Izzy teamed up to focuse on the paper towel bins.

Claire and I researched and found out that because the separate bins for compost, garbage, containers, and refundables was fairly new the students didn’t know what went where. We used the City of Vancouver Recycling Guide to find out what actually goes where

We took photos of what we found in each bin

Our first initial idea was to set up a recycling watch for our school. We wanted to get students to participate in this recycling watch by offering service hours in return. I also created a poster to put up around the school.

Now that we had a plan we wanted to get feedback and permission to go ahead from our Principal Mrs. Craven

We sent her an email and set up a day and time to meet which was Monday at 3:00

She liked our idea and gave us but was concerned that not enough students sign up. After speaking with Principal Craven we decided to go in a different direction to educate the students on what goes in what bins.

We decided to create new custom posters for each of the bins.

In these posters we included items you would find in the caf aswell as the vending machine such as the paper pasta containers and granola bar wrappers. From our research we found that students didn’t know that paper coffee cups go in the containers bin so we included that.

Because we couldn’t fit everything on the posters we also created a website you can see here.

Now that we had finnished our prototype we wanted to get feedback from the students. I created a google form and sent it to multiple students at Seycove.