The atomic journal šŸ’„šŸ’£

Hi and welcome back to another blog post.Ā 

Just a warning āš ļø this will be a lengthy reflectionā€¼ļø I have lots of material to cover and a lot of appropriate opinions to share.

This project started way back in October. (Which is hard to believe, honestly I thought is stared in the begging on September, it feels like Iā€™ve been working on this project for ages)Ā 

The first few classes for this project was a whole bunch of lectures from Mr. Hudges about all things Oppenheimer, Atomic Bomb, science and historical significance.Ā 

After those classes were over were blessed with a writing assignment. With a new found historical significant knowledge we were given the opportunity to write a claim on anything we thought was extremely historically significant, while following the C-E-R layoutĀ 

I chose to write my piece on the abortion suit on in the states and how the overturning on Roe v. Wade is very historically significant.Ā 

After many drafts, a little bit of special one on one teacher feedback and after it got ā€œtore apartā€ IĀ  for t of the class I was finally happy with my final draft ā€¼ļø

On everyone had a complete final draft we were on to the real project !!Ā 

The teachers liked to call it ā€œthe Manhattan project^2ā€Get it? Because its called the Manhattan project and were doing a project one the Manhattan project? The Manhattan project project?? Huh? Yeah?Ā 

We stared with getting into our groupsĀ 

Missing Makenna

In my group IĀ  was so happy to have; Makenna, Faith, Carter, Sean and Colton.Ā 

(Near the very end we had to winter about our group and talk about who pulled the most weight and this is what I said about the overall dynamic)

After that came the real work.Ā 

All. The . Brainstorming.Ā 

Lots of options, ideas, basecamp documents, references and additional researchĀ 

Ā This was probably the hardest part of the project. This part I think really tested our groups chemistry and really showed each other our true colours when it comes down to feedback, idea expansion and straight up rejection. In the end we (originally Colton) came up with the idea of writing a journal throughoutĀ  the time of the invention on the atomic bomb, the creation of Los Alamos and the after math of the bombā€¦ All in Oppenheimerā€™s perspective (first person)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jhgZe6eksoOqCBnsKLxxqC_aBYAV_IkH/view?usp=sharing

Once the idea was formulated and approved came the real work. All the researchā€¦ and the work separation.Ā  Originally we gave each other rolesĀ 

After a week or so we found our rhythm. Colton eventually fell out of role of DRI and faith took up the role of DRI, Makenna and I focused on a-lot ofĀ  the final details near the end. And then we separated the work load. After we planned our book layout we divided chapter throughout the group, I was responsible for a lot of the last chapter. The last chapter (Entree) was not a whole bunch of research but a lot of original writing. It was arguably the hardest chapter to write in the whole book.Ā 

Two weeks into all the research and discussion half our group left for New Mexico. Sean and Carter were our group members to leave. They had a very important job; while exploring Los Alamos, the Trinity Test sight and a whole bunch of histrionicĀ  significant museums they needed to collect media and so a few interviews to supply original content for our book.Ā 

Lets just say they pulled throughĀ 

Overall the next couple weeks were just work blocksā€¦ lots and lots of work blocks. While carter and Sean were here and even when they werenā€™t we got lots done. Over the next couple of weeks we subbed into a couple of issues and overcame them as a group. We made sure we held each group ember accountable for their load of work and we worked through a couple of ā€œdesign disagreementsā€.Ā 

But by October 23 we were already reflecting on our 66% markĀ 

And by October 30 we were reflecting on our 87% mark. Time fliesĀ 

This was when Mrs. WIllemse and pretty much tore up our whole book. She gave us so much feedback (which we really appreciate) but why did she have to give it to us all when we are also completely doneā‰ļø anyway we had to work through it. We did lots of last minutes editing for our first draft presentation. We all had tog o home and pretty much re-write all our rest her into more ā€œjournal sizedā€ wiring paragraphs and add more media.Ā 

And then of course we forgot about the about the author page until the day before the first final f draft presentation, so we all had to write a little snippet and grind photos. We had it work and then I had to it all togetherā€¦Ā 

Then we were reading to present to ines and theryns group. we presented first and we got some good feedback and then they presented and we tore theirs apart and I feel really bad but I feel like it really did benefit them and their final product was great in the end.Ā 

Once all the final touches were complete we were happy to lean back and look at our final work!

My final thoughts: this has so far been my favourite group Iā€™ve ever worked with throughout my whole PLP career. I have had the most fun while having the most success in this group then any other group project/DI group in the past. Throughout the weeks of this project Iā€™ve had time to get to know each group member a little bit more. We eventually found a balance between friends and class mates. We had Colton who was our original DRI but later on Colton kind of fell off while Faith came to it and blossomed in the role of DRI. Overall our group had an amazing balance between clowns, academic weapons, film editing geniuses and fillers.Ā 

Hannah šŸ«˜šŸ„œšŸŒ°šŸ«šŸŖšŸ©