Blue sky- Star Wars edition

So I have just completed a huge project. For my flight program. (Learn more about flight here.) The background of the project, was to create an inquiry question around the Star Wars movie series.
There were three steps to this whole project: planning, construction, final project and the exhibition.
Step one: Planning

First thing that I did was plan out the project. At this stage I was only spitballing ideas that would make a really cool project. After that, I made up some inquiry questions that I could base my project on. I came up with loads of ideas but then I narrowed it down to a final inquiry question that I was going to base my project on.

“Can I reverse engineer a monster/creature out of Lego and make its head/arms moveable by using fluid mechanics?”

Now I made a sheet which summed up my whole project in a sheet. So that I could refer to it as I was going through the project to keep me on track. Here is the final copy of that sheet so you can get a specific run through on what I was trying to achieve through my project.

image image

Step two: Construction

Now that I had a pretty good plan of what I was going to do. I just started to experiment with Lego until I got the right idea.

I first built the thing and then I put all the tubing into the Lego. But then like ten minutes later I realized that it looked like crap. So I had to take everything off and spray paint the machine. After that I put it all back together.

Here is a video of that whole process.

My final project was a really big hit in the exhibition.People were weirdly fascinated by how I had created it.

Step three: Exhibition

For the exhibition of our work. We were set into separate groups to group us with people who were doing things similar to ours.

Our space was based on the sand planet in Star Wars “Tatooine”. We had a small food and drink bar for the people. Serving the drink called sunset and s’more type of cookie that resembles a ship in the movies.

We took orange paper and covered the lights so it seemed like you were in the desert.

image

I wore a costume which consisted of two rubber horns glues onto my forehead by using wood glue.

Throughout this process which took around 3 weeks to complete. I have learned two major things. Never take Lego apart to spray paint it, because it will take too long to put back together. Secondly I learnt that if you get any air into the compression chambers, it wrecks the whole mechanism.

0 comments