Floor plans confuse me…

Just recently, all the grade nines at Seycove had the opportunity to go to work with one of their parents. I decided to tag along with my dad. My dad is what you could call an architectural technologist which (in English) means that he designs buildings for clients.

My day started at 9:30(ish) am.

I did a quick interview with my dad (Kelvin) who owns his own company called Humenny Design.

Our first stop of the day was moody avenue

This is what the coach house looks like right now

And this is what the finished product
will look like

Next we stopped at fairmont avenue

Here, I got to go inside the house and meet the construction workers and see the house in the midst of being built.

This is what the house looks like right now

this is the floor plan

And this is what its going to look like

Then we visited Stanhope projects

Stanhope projects is a family owned construction company and is  being run by Warren and Vanessa Stanhope.
Vanessa showed me how they organize their projects with an application called Excel, this application keeps track of all of the jobs that need to be completed during a project.
I also had the chance to interview Warren:

Next we visited Harbourview projects

Harbourview Projects is a development company that builds residential and commercial buildings for the market.

There, I got to talk to Stefen and I also would’ve talked to Al, but he was in Mexico.

After that we did a quick site visit at Esplanade

This site is going to be a building for multiple businesses. My dad and I both had to put on hard hats and we got to look around inside.

We had a quick lunch break at buddhaful

After lunch we dropped off some drawings at the city of north van city hall

And to finish off the day we visited a house that my dad designed that got onto the cover of Western Living Magazine.

Reflection:

My dads says that with all of the new applications and abilities of the iPad Pro, he is thinking about incorporating an iPad to his work flow, he became interested in iPads when he saw all the abilities I have on mine. I think that’s very interesting because there are a lot of similarities with my dad’s job and plp. First of all half of his job is working with technology to create and the other half is collaborating with others and going and visiting sites in person. In plp we work with technology and collaborate together and take our learning and exploration out of the classroom.

Now for the questions I was asked to answer…

Q: what careers at the workplace could you see yourself pursuing and why?

I didn’t get to see this during my day with my dad, but he told me about the interior design company called Chambers and Stark. Out of most of the jobs I learnt about interior design is the one that probably fits me best. When I was little I used to rearrange and redecorate my room almost every week and it drove my parents crazy. Ever since I was a little girl I’ve always loved design and I’ve always had a very creative mind and honestly any position that involves design would fit me and I’d be very happy pursuing that position.

Q: what can and will you do to gain more knowledge on the careers that interested you and what are the necessary steps to get there?

I’m definitely going to do more research on this position because it’s very interesting and the interior design websites are always so nice to look at. But in the end I honestly don’t know what I want to do yet as a career, does any 14 year old?