Cousins and Chromosomes

For our first solely science based project this year, we focused on the driving question, can cousins be twins? This question may seem a bit random but this topic goes hand in hand with our focus of gentectics and reproduction.

As we do before every term we began with a unit start mind map, where we can express all of our prior information and questions before the unit begins. 

Our task was to create a engaging video covering how genes are passed down from parent to offspring (heredity), as well as how traits are inherited and lastly how genotypes and phenotypes are linked to DNA.

The Genetics

These are a few of the main ideas we needed to keep in mind while we created the storyline for this project.

Heredity: the passing of genetics, from parents to their offspring

Chromosomes: the form that our dna takes it in order to be passed on from parent to child

Gene: a section of DNA on a chromosome, that contains the information that determines a trait

Polygenic Trait: most of the time a physical trait is just a bunch of different genes working together

Heterozygous: two versions of the same gene passed down from parents

Homozygous: two of the same gene passsed down from parents

The Storyline/Video

When it came to creating the video, we had to present your knowledge through an appealing video. I decided to base the story off of Halloween and trick or treating to give the video a unique type of suspense.

This is my partner kai and I’s final video.

I am really happy with the turnout of this video, by presenting my learning in this way I feel as though I’ve confirmed the facts in my head. This is my first scimatics video that I’ve done completely with keynote and I will definitely be using it again.