Ideologies

Recently in class we started learning about ideologies and what exactly they are. Ideology is defined as: a system of ideas and ideals, especially one which form the basis of economic or political theory and policy. To learn more about this, since the majority of the class is going to University next year we learned more about the topic through a series of lectures. Here are my notes from it:

So in more of a concise way (rather then reading 5 pages of notes) I will explain the political spectrum and specific ideologies. The political spectrum is a spectrum of political ideologies ranging from far left (communism) to far right (fascism). The further left you go the more it supports social equality and popular or state control of the major institutions of political and economic life. While right wing supports conservatism ideas and value tradition, structure, duty, and authority. Right wing is more opposed to government-provided universal healthcare.

Here is a more in depth look into the key ideologies:

Liberalism is: a political doctrine that takes protecting and enhancing the freedom of the individual to be the central problem of politics. Liberals typically believe that government is necessary to protect individuals from being harmed by others.

Communism is: a political doctrine that aims to replace private property and a profit-based economy with public ownership and communal control of at least the major means of production (e.g., mines, mills, and factories) and the natural resources of a society.

Fascism is: a political doctrine that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition.

Socialism is: a political doctrine advocating collective or governmental ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods.

We also took a few quizzes to see where we were on the political spectrum. We used the website Political Compass which plots out where exactly they think you are in regards to your political compass by asking questions about things such as the economy, views on authority and even sex and religion.

With all this in mind here are my results:

To see a comparison this is where other political figures stand on the political compass. (Above image)

Overall these results did not surprise me because I don’t believe that I am a very aggressive person however do still want things to be fair and will stand up for rights that I believe in. Knowing my political ideologies are very useful for the future because as I get older it becomes more and more relevant since I am having to make more and more decisions in regards to this.