Work Safety

Hey, do you want to know how to stay safe at work? 

Keep reading this post and you will learn all tricks on how to stay safe!

I made this quick video using Explain everything and iMovie

In the course Planning I have talking about smart goals, but now it’s time to talk about work…

As you may know working can be dangerous and hazardous, believe it or not. It could be form working as an accountant to working on a construction site. Pretty much every job has its hazards. In this blog you will learn how to stay safe at work.

My work experience:

For me personally I haven’t had a proper job with a boss and all that, however I currently have a weekly babysitting job. To get this job I just needed to take the babysitting coarse. I took the course in grade 6, so a while ago, but I learned basic first aid that I still remember today. In the course it was pretty simple, you would go for a week for an hour a day and there would be a instructor teaching the class. They taught us skills when looking after kids or even babies. At the end of the week we took a test and you had to get 80% (I think) to pass. Pretty much everyone in my class passed.

My possible next job:

Last winter I took my level 1 ski instructor coarse because this year I want to teach skiing. There wasn’t any first aid involved in the course. Although, we were taught useful strategies to teach kids.

The course was four days long and in the end I passed! So this year I will be able to teach. There are definitely hazards for being a ski instructor, kids could get lost, get injured, I could get injured,etc, you get the point. In class we were talking about how to be safe at work and all of that includes the training you had.

The first worksheet I did was about our experiences and what our training we had was like:

In any job it is very important you know the hazards involved and what to do in any kind of situation. It is so important that someone trains you properly. If something isn’t right and you don’t feel comfortable doing something because it is dangerous, you need to inform your boss. Not being trained can be a very popular way of getting injured.

During class we watched two videos. The first video was about work hazards, and there were a few people telling their bad experiences with injuries at work. 1 in 21 young males are hurt on the job in BC. Let’s just say I could barley watch the video. It had some pretty intense injuries so only watch this video if you don’t mind watching a women get her fingers cut off.

Even though the video was pretty gory, it definitely made me think about many things that could go wrong while working in any kind of job. In the clip of women getting her fingers caught in the machine, it just shows that she wasn’t paying enough attention while using a huge and dangerous machine. Also she was working by her self with no one aroumd. She should have also been given her better training to make sure she knew what to do if that ever happened. As a result of the incident she lost three fingers at the age of 19.

Another accident that was shown was a man working on a wood site. He was transporting wood. He got off the fork lifter to lower the lifter and all of the wood can toppling down on his back. His name was John Higgins and he broke his back when he was 16. He should have had better training to tell him not to get off the vehicle when there is wood balanced on the fork.

Micheal Lovett was 18 when he lost his leg. He was working on a construction site at night and got his leg stuck in a chain, his leg was pulled in to a machine that destroyed his leg. Micheal definitely shouldn’t have been given a night shift on a construction site alone. Also in the video it mentioned that he had been working for 24 hours, so he would have been tired making him less aware on what’s going on.

We were given some pages to read. They were mainly about hazards. This one is about different kinds of viruses you get from being at work. You would surprised on how easy it is to catch a disease at work. All of the reading helped us answer the following questions:

After we did these questions we went over the answers in class. I got a few questions wrong, the one about the first aid, I thought that you had to be older for ten designated first aide required at all work places. I also didn’t know the answer the to the question that was about the noise volume.

Now I will talk about the second video shortly. The title was Young and New Workers. The video was about young people being trained and how it is so important it is for the workers to be properly trained.

To summarize all this information I have just given you, I made a visual to help understand our unit. To make this visual I used Explain Everything, IMovie and sketches pro. 

As you can probably see, there are many things wrong with this picture. There are two of the main things that are causing these problems. The first one is the fact that it is 1:30am therefore, the worker would be tired, so he my not be thinking properly. The second one is he has his head phones on listening to music making him less aware of what is going on.

This will make him be less aware of what is going on, for example the stove is on the fire and the pot is over boiling and he hasn’t noticed. If you look  will notice that there is a flammable liquid next to the stove, not a good idea. This person could very easily get injured. He also shouldn’t be working by himself at night and that is the bosses job to fix that.

This unit is definitely one to not forget. Before learning about this I never considered how dangerous work can be. If you feel like you are in danger while working, you have the right to tell your boss to fix something. If they don’t then you can refuse to work. Also before you start the job it is so important to be trained properly. Any disaster could happen at work and it is important to be trained to deal with dangerous situations.