This Week I Learned #1

This week, upon being introduced to our Romeo and Juliet project I learned a lot about Shakespeare and Elizabethan theatre.
It got me asking why Shakespeare was so great. After all it’s not like I’ve read any of his plays or many of his sonnets except for in school. This led to me running through the books I’ve read and the movies I’ve watched, in my head. Wondering why they aren’t as famous as Shakespeare’s work like Romeo and Juliet. I tried to compare characteristics of a few plots of new stories versus Romeo and Juliet. I was surprised when I realized I knew the base of what happens in Romeo and Juliet despite never having read it or seen the play. I guess I always knew that I knew what the story’s about I just never knew how.
With all of that in mind I later realized that I have been surrounded by the story my entire life. There have been countless amounts of references to Romeo and Juliet and even movies and books who’s plots are almost exactly aligned with that of Shakespeare’s most famous love story. Including some of entertainments other most famous like Lion King 2, and West-Side Story (the movie and the play).

(null)

Lion King 2; Simba’s Pride

I answered my own question of what made Shakespeare famous. This week, I found this out because I inquired about something we are learning in school that I was interested in and because I did, I know have a better understanding of the topic and am more excited to keep working on it.

Where I Found Movies Based On Romeo And Juliet
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_based_on_Romeo_and_Juliet