The Advertising Project Of DOOM

Before we begin, please know that the DOOM part is a joke. The advertising project was actually pretty fun. Please don’t take that part seriously. Ok. Now that that part’s out of the way, onto the actual post!

Hello there. It’s Jason. Welcome to my first post ever. This post is going to be about the wonderful world of ADVERTISING!

Now, as some of you may or may not know, we recently finished our first unit, which was on advertising. During this unit, we interviewed some businesses and made some wonderful ads.

For our first business, we interviewed local Deep Cove Department Store, A’hoy. So, my group members and I walked down to Deep Cove and interviewed the nice people at A’hoy, who gave us some information for our ads. The product that they wanted to promote was their Herschel Studio Backpacks, which were only available at A’hoy. Here are my first, second, and third drafts.

As you can see, there are many improvements between my weird, confusing first draft and my better third draft. To achieve these results, I used feedback from my peers to improve these ads. The critique really helped point out the main flaws in my ads. I then used that to improve my ads. The main app that I used was Canva. Canva is a design app that I used to create my ads. I also used Photoshop Mix, which I used to crop my images. Something that I’ll probably do differently next time is get more specific with our questions to get a better mental image of what my ad will look like. We are currently writing A’hoy an e-mail with our ads included and hopefully they give us some helpful feedback.

After we had finished up our Deep Cove Business Ads, it was time to move on to the real thing. Our Oregon ads.

In order to figure out what businesses we were doing, we picked pieces of paper with business names written on them. Our first pick was American hunting store Cabela’s, while our second pick was the Tillamook Cheese Factory. Long story short, we got rejected. Twice. Now, you might be thinking, Jason, how did such a professional like you get rejected? Well, Tillamook said that their main marketing team was actually located in Portland, and not Tillamook. The marketing manager at Cabela’s said that she was occupied the day we were visiting. After being turned down twice, we were given a shining beacon of hope. High Life Adventures.

So, on October 1st, 2017, JacksonPaisleyAnika and moi, (which is me in French), had a nice, long chat with Beau from High Life about the things they wanted to promote and any special requests that they had for the ads. We also showed them some first drafts of ads that we had created before hand. Beau then called in his manager, who gave us some ideas. The things that they were looking to promote were:

– The fact that their business is family owned.                                                                                                                   – The fact that there is a campfire outside so that you can drink beer by the campfire.                                                  – The zwing, which was this really dope zip line that we weren’t allowed to ride because we’re not adults.     – The 7th zipline in the tour, which was one that let you ride into the water.                                                     – The new bar and grill, which was what all of us chose to advertise.

After we got back from Oregon, we made some more ads. The thing was, we couldn’t make our ads because we didn’t have any pictures of the ziplining because of a computer error. (This was before we realized that we didn’t actually need pictures of ziplining to make ads for the bar and grill.) After we had gotten the photos, we made our ads. Why don’t you take a look at them?

As you can see, the improvements on these ads are very similar to my Deep Cove Ads. There’s a big difference between my first and last drafts. We are currently writing an e-mail to High Life too. I hope we get some good feedback. Once again, I used Canva and Photoshop Mix for my ads. This time, I not only got critiqued by my peers, but also by 10th graders. It’s a long story. I, once again, used the critique to improve my ads. One thing I would do differently is get a good picture of the bar and grill to use in my ad.

Alrighty. That about wraps things up for this post. I wrote all of the things I wanted to write about and, as always, did my best to make it interesting. I hope you are now informed about the wonderful world of advertising while learning some things about me.

Until next time,                                                                                                                                                   Yours truly, Jason Guan.

AKA J-Guan