Identity 2: The Identifying

Hey, you remember back when I made that original identity post? Remember when I said there was going to be a part 2? Yeah? Well here it is. I’m Jason, and I’m back to give you your second dosage of IDENTITY.

Also, keep this in mind: remember how Worldview was a recurring theme in Grade 8? Well now we have a new recurring theme, identity.

So, let’s pick up where we left off. I believe we had just started talking about what identity was and our driving question. Do you remember it? “How does that land affect our identity?” I also revealed our fabulous Deep Cove Identity Video. Remember that? Now, after a 9 day trip to Alberta, I have returned with more knowledge and have made an all new video about identity.

Let’s start with some details about our Alberta Trip.

The Alberta trip was good fun, but I won’t go too far into detail as there is an Alberta Field Study post coming soon (shameless self-promotion). However, I will add in some photos and I’ll explain later a bit more about the important places.

Next, let’s recap the new knowledge I’ve learned after our last post.

So, we talked a little about what Identity was in the last post, but not too in depth. Also, I’ve got some examples of identity, worldview, and how they intertwine. One example we learned at the Glenbow Museum in Calgary was how the worldviews of the First Nations people were changed after the arrival of the Europeans, and how the Europeans’ identities changed after their arrival.

Also, I learned a lot about how the land can really change the identities and worldview of people. At the Columbia Icefield Skywalk, my friend Sam and I interviewed some people and we found that many people’s worldview have been impacted by the Skywalk.

One of the key words I’ve linked to identity is perception. Perception is a word I used a lot in my new video as it was the perfect word to describe what identity is really about. The main thing identity really impacts is perception. Whether it be the perception of the land or the people of the land, all of that depends on identity.

Alright, I’ve baited it all throughout this post, and I’m sure y’all are DYING to see it, so here it is. The centrepiece of my Albertan Adventures, my identity video. (applause)

https://youtu.be/B_cCMLRjY7Q

As you can see, I’ve separated my video into a few key topics and all of those topics intertwine together to make an identity. To quote myself, “Think of it as a pyramid, without any of the building blocks, it collapses.” I think that this unit was a great way to start of the year and a great intro to a word that’ll probably get pounded into our heads even harder than worldview, Identity.

1. I love your writing style, it’s very entertaining and interesting, and you never ramble. I’m not a fan of a minor gamar issue with your last sentence, you use the word to instead of the word too. I also noticed that you don’t have any pictures in your post, by adding pictures you will entice the readers eye to read your beautiful writing, but at the moment a lot of text is a bit overwhelming. Great post! Fantastic writing! I also was really enjoying the video In your post, you have some beautiful shots of the mountain! I would also add links, overall great post!