What?! How?! This so stupid! It’s impossible! This is what went through everyone’s head when we got our final exhibition. Our class had to pair up in groups and prepare to debate. Except there was no preparation. In my last post of concepts on concepts we studied these charts to better and further our understanding. When it got to debate time, we got our topic or the debate statement 1 minute before the actual debate.

In my group was Matthew S and Gabi. Our group name was “be it resolved”, we all thought it was pretty clever. Each member in our group had all their own strengths that were used to debate. Matthew was really good at public speaking and could keep a conversation going without stuttering. Gabi had all our concept charts down and was feeding ideas in like crazy. Myself, I’m like the 50/50 person who can do both really well. Our group won our first debate, and made it to semis, but than we lost. All in all I think our group worked and preformed great with each other.

With only 1 minute to prepare for our debate, we all had different tasks before the debate. Gabi and I would start researching as much as we could about the topic, while Matthew would figure out how he is going to open up the debate, since we were pro each time. I wish I could’ve talked more in the debate, but I was feeding all the ideas I could, from the concept charts, and from the Internet, loading all the current events up.

Preparing wise, before the whole exhibition was quite interesting. We used our concept charts for printers and notes. We also did lots of little debates between group switching topics every minute, and one person would have to relate the last topic, to the new one. It really helped doing these mini debates. Lots of people felt they weren’t prepared, but as soon as the actual debate came, they shined and won their team the debate. The group that won the whole debate was “arguably the best”. Which was the team made up of Michael S, Chris, and Maria. They’re group never got fan appreciation, but always had the best rebuttals and the best points. They were a powerhouse. They knew what would win them the debate, and they did it, and it succeeded.

This debate was quite fun once you got into it. I’ve never seen so many people get mad and stress out, than after the exhibition saying it wasn’t bad at all. Everyone’s nerves went away and they started enjoying themselves, by showing off their knowledge and learning. I personally had fun time. For next time I’m going to prepare by myself and my group non stop till I’m comfortable and feel fully confident.