Earthquake proofing with minecraft!?!

This was my Minecraft project. In the picture below, is the criteria for this project. Me and my partner Alivia, created our structure. We created this structure to replicate a west coast long house. The long house was made out of oak wood, rubber, and granite. The reason we made the structure out of oak, was because oak wood is native to the area our structure was built in(west coast). The perimeter of the bottom of the structure was 125×80. Since we needed to earthquake proof it, we added a rubber and granite base to take the seismic waves in through the rubber and the granite would dissipate it. We also added some x and y beams to direct the force of the earthquake down. this helps the building stay up and not collapse during a quake.

I learned a whole bunch in the process of this project, about both earthquakes, about engineering, and about learning how to calculate data on spread sheets. If I were to do this project again, the first thing I would change would be to add some more details and designs to, the inside of our structure, and to spend more time building the walls, instead of using it to make the squishy ground.

The next big project that I did was the door, where we had to increase the size of our classroom door by three folds. The criteria for this project is in the picture below.

I was working in a group of three with two of my class mates, Jamie and raina. Our group decided to create one big cylinder, twoAt the beginning, we were having some trouble with getting the shapes to be the right size and measurement. We eventually worked out our mistakes using some of the data from our other class mates, and hard math to figure out where we went wrong. The biggest and hardest part of this project was getting your measurements to add up to what they are supposed to, but the number on you calculator matches the one you came up with, believe me, it’s the best feeling.

In this project, I experienced how to be comfortable with being uncomfortable. Throughout the year, through many projects and assignments, I have been given some work that had a concept that I had never learned before and at first and I was uncomfortable. Anyone would be uncomfortable if they were given something that is completely new and looks complicated, it’s not abnormal, but through being in mrs Klausen’s class, I have learned to have a calm mind. To be successful in anything new, you need to be okay with the fact that you aren’t always going to know how to do things right away and your work might not be perfect, but you’ll get there!