Year end TPOL

With the year coming to a close, it’s time for yet another transitional presentation of learning (TPOL). Like many of my other TPOL’s, I will talk about a project from each subject that I feel represents the best of my work and why. 

I’ll start by talking about my science project on reproduction. We had the amazing opportunity to clone dandelions using asexual reproduction. I took good care of these five dandelion plants, and was so proud when not only one, but two of the dandelions sprouted. This project was the most enjoyable of any of the science projects that we’ve done all year. The project was something that really resonated with me mainly because it required a hands on experiment to do with nature, which is one of my favourite topics. I feel that the work I produce when I’m passionate about a subject is of better quality than that of a subject that I don’t really care much about. I’m very proud of the work that I put into growing these plants and creating an informational videos about them, and that is why I chose this project over any other one that I did this year in science. Even thought I was proud of the outcome of the project, I recognize that there is always room for growth, and I do think that I could’ve communicated a bit better with my group when finishing up the final video. 

The next subject is math. The proudest that I have been about a project of this subject was during our road trip project. In this, we were tasked to plan a road trip from New-York to a destination of our choosing. We had to use the math skills that we had learned to plan out the cost of everything from accommodation, gas prices, the route and time that it would take to get to and from the destination, and even food cost. I really liked the idea of being able to plan out your own dream trip, so this project was very appealing to me. The one place that I feel could’ve used some improvement was when I was planning out the route for my trip. The destination I chose was quite far from the starting point and there were too many stops for me write in, so the data got very messy and a bit confusing at times. This was something that I could’ve payed more attention towards fixing, but I put my focus on other things and let it slip. 

Meanwhile in humanities class, we were working on a comic for our World War One unit. This meant that we would have to pick a topic from the ones that we had learned about to do with WW1, and crate an informative comic on that certain event or group of people. I did mine on the changing role of woman in the First World War, and was quite proud of my final product. Other than a few times when I didn’t divide up my work properly and made the process a bit more pressured and stressful, I was happy with how everything turned out and will benefit from the knowledge that I gained when doing this project.

The last class to touch bases in is maker. I really connected with our most recent blue sky project where me and Jessie created a website for perspective dog owners. This project not only had me go out and interview a stranger, which for me was quite a challenge, but it let me work on a subject that I am very interested in. I loved doing the research on all of the different types of dogs and creating the survey to show you which dog would be perfect for you. This project really showed me that taking care of a dog, especially a puppy, is not as easy as it sounds, and there are many factors to take into consideration before hand. Although I was very happy with the work I produced for this project, there’s always room for improvement, and I definitely could’ve added more when it came to the display aspect of our project.

All of these projects from all of my classes stand as pieces of evidence that show that I am ready for next year and all the challenges that will come with it. Throughout the year, I have acquired the skills to be able to see my mistakes and use them to make and execute a plan and overcome them, and with this knowledge, I will be able to make improvements for next year.