Causation and Correlation

Our most current math project was out Causation and Correlation project. My partner Melanie and I were tasked to create both a Causation and a Correlation that we would then collect data for and make graphs to show this data and prove our hypothesis. You may be wondering, what is a Causation? Well a Causation is when a variable causes another variable. For this portion of the project, we created a survey on the topic of how school and homework effects our stress levels, and made the assumption that school causes rising stress levels in students. 

We created many pie charts to showcase our data from the survey. The data from these charts was mainly collected from grade nine students, and almost all of them put down that stress about homework has prevented them from socializing, performing everyday tasks like cleaning their rooms, and have confirmed that most homework is assigned in the months of April and June.

In our survey, we also had many bar graphs that show us which classes cause the most stress, give out the most homework, and what stresses people out the most, which judging by the survey would be schoolwork. With all of this data, I think it is safe to say that school definitely does cause rising stress levels in students, and our Causation was valid. 

Next, we created our correlation. A correlation is when two variables correlate with each other, but do not cause one another. Just as an example, lets take two random variables like the amount of car crashes per year and the population of pelicans. These two things do not cause one another, but maybe their numbers in the data correlate with each other and have the same pattern. This example is definitely not a Causation, but could be a good example of a correlation. For this section of the project, we chose to compare the amount of earthquakes to the population of whooping cranes. We graphed the data that we found online, and put it into a graph. As you can see, the numbers are very similar, but it is still a correlation and not a causation because the population of whooping cranes has no effect over earthquakes whatsoever. 

This has been our Causation and Correlation project. It has been a great learning experience, and I am proud of the work that my partner and I had created.