Costal Trip: A Memorable Journey🚌

As part of our advertising unit, the whole class went on a road trip to Oregon to get a more realistic, hands on experience. Although the trip was fun and exciting, it also required hard work and thinking. During the trip, we were asked to complete a journal book of our time there as well as interview a local business and create an ad based on the information they gave you. Besides the project part of the trip, my class and I were also taken to fun, but educational sites such as museums and an aquarium. There, we discovered new species, took a close look at certain animals, studied different speeds of crabs and so much more!

After doing a previous ad for a local business in the Cove (see my advertising portfolio post), it was time to move on to something bigger, as in interviewing and designing an ad for a business in a different country. This is my ad for the Marine Discovery Tours company. After interviewing and asking questions to one of the staff including the owner herself, my group and I got together to discuss exactly what the company was asking us to advertise and how they preferred the poster to look to c reate the ultimate ad. The following print ads show my progress from draft one to my final ad which will be sent back to the Marine Discovery company.

Before going, we had to design an ad for the business before hand. This is just my first copy using a photo I found online and the information I already knew.

First Draft (Before the trip)

Draft 2-bad choice of font

Draft 3-Bold font just not working

Draft 4-font still not working and website is hard to read

Draft 5-Better font and outlined but “Ultimate” needs more attention

Final-good font choice and easy to read

Throughout the field school, each student had to fill out and complete a book. Similar to a journal, the book recorded what you did everyday and what you learned. Photos and short videos were also included and it was required that we change, customize and add pages to our book to make them unique and our own. This is my finished book and all the photos and videos were taken during our stay and the words reflect on what I saw, learned or did each day.

One of the museums/aquariums that I personally found interesting was the Hatfield Marine Science Center. There, we had a short lesson on crabs and their special aspects. We then got together in groups to race small crabs. In our group we discussed how we were going to test the crabs to see which one was fastest based on size, number of legs, species or gender. My group and I decided to test the crabs based on their number of legs to see if that effected their speed. Unfortunately we were unable to access our iPad at the time so were unable to take photos. However, I did find this photo online which shows what the crabs looked like.

Lastly, here are a few photos of my time in Oregon. I sure learned a lot and got to experience what many other students may never get to do. This trip was surely a memorable journey.