Rushing through Renaissance 🏃🏻‍♀️

Welcome back to my blog of never ending work! I just got back from a crazy new unit where we studied the renaissance. For those of you who don’t know or have completely forgotten what you’ve learned in grade 8 humanities, the renaissance is a period of time after the medieval times. The term renaissance means to be reborn or the rebirth of the world. The renaissance was a very busy time period full of growth and creativity mainly shown through the arts and sciences. These people, including the famous Leonardo Da Vinci, helped spread and change the way we see our world today, or in other words, these people, helped shape our worldview. During this unit, we had to fill out and answer a variety of questions on the renaissance topic which might help further explain what we did in class so I’ve attached the link to the page I filled out below!⤵️

Humanities Questions-12o9773

During this period of change, three groups or categories of people most influenced the change and ideas that occurred. These three groups were the Thinkers, Artists and Scientists/Mathmetitions.

The Thinkers were an interesting bunch. They basically came up with the first ideas of Humanism which explains why they are popularly called humanists. Thinkers thought of ways for the individual to strive by themselves and being less dependent on religion such as biblical studies and such. Humanists found both beauty and knowledge in humans and believed in trusting yourself and being unique.

The second group of people and infact my favourite group of people were the artists. The artists began to depict their pieces more realistically using lots of detail and paying special attention to the human body and how it could be used in their art to create a deeper feeling and meaning. This began a trend as most artists began to feature more of the human body to show human excellence. Patrons played a big role because they supported artists at the time so that they could make a living. Learn more about art patrons today by clicking the link!

The final group of people we studied were the science and mathematicians. The famous scientific method as well as medicines and astronomy were well developed during the renaissance. People learned through books to try and answer their questions leading to people wanting to discover more. A great theory by Galileo was that our Earth is not flat but round. For centuries people thought the Earth we lived on was flat but was then proved using the first telescope invented in renaissance times.

So how does this all tie together? Well to show the changes that occurred during the Renaissance, we were asked to create a triptych. Triptychs are a three panel piece of art that was very popular during the renaissance. Today they can be found in some churches, however, triptychs are made up of three images, each independent and different, but together, they create one magnificent masterpiece. For us, one panel had to show the changes of ideas, one thespread of ideas and the Center was the impact today on our worldview. To begin this project, we filled out a guided research sheet to help brainstorm ideas for each panel.

The change of ideas

The spread of ideas

The impact of ideas

Ok, after completing all of these organisers, it was time to start drawing out my triptych. Below is my first draft as well as the feedback given to me by my peers.

To wrap this post up, the whole post and unit was basically leading up to this final project of the triptych. I am pretty proud of how it turned out and can’t wait for another rushing adventure! I guess you can say that from the renaissance, “this changes everything!”